Account Director or Senior Account Director, Government Relations
Hill+Knowlton Strategies, Canada’s leading strategic communications consultancy, is seeking an Account Director or Senior Account Director, Government Relations to join our Western Canada team based out of our office in Vancouver or in Victoria.
This role will be responsible for providing strategic government relations and advocacy for clients, and for ensuring that client satisfaction is maintained at the highest level. This role will also help ensure our group meets its financial objectives, including ensuring profitability, maintaining market profile and cultivating new business opportunities to grow the practice.
The ideal candidate will have established networks in the BC provincial government and political community as well as related stakeholder groups. You will enjoy being a part of team, mentoring and networking with your peer group. You will apply strategic thinking and oversight to client programs, deploy the firm’s resources to achieve client objectives, monitors client projects on a day-to-day basis and work as part of a team. You will participate in new business development strategies to cultivate new client opportunities, enjoy pitching and winning new clients.
- Be a creative problem solver to find innovative solutions to potentially complex client issues or challenges
- Leverages existing relationships with B.C. governmental officials and develops additional contacts where needed to allow for expert analysis and insights into current political issues and government relations
- Develops and nurtures strong relationships with clients at all levels and capitalizes on large and complex opportunities with existing and new clients
- Explores and pursues external business opportunities and interests to generate ideas and connect with potential clients
- Writes annual and project-based government relations and advocacy plans with input from subject matter experts and other sources
- Edits and writes engaging and well-informed materials (briefing notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, whitepapers, Q&A, presentations, responses to requests for proposals)
- Works in an integrated way with other team members across a client account to provide integrated support and service
- Manages profitability for accounts and/or performance and utilization of account teams
- Monitors government, industry and sector landscapes on clients’ behalf
- Counsels clients on government relations messages related to crises and issues
- Creates and maintains productive relationships with government and industry stakeholders and clients (includes networking and attending firm-related and political functions)
- Complies with all relevant lobbyist registration legislation and regulations
- Ensures programs are implemented in timely, cost-effective and relevant ways
- Measures and reviews success of H+K programs for clients against stated goals
- Explores digital advocacy and social media tools to benefit clients, potential clients and the agency
- Established network of senior business and provincial government/political contacts
- Uses political savvy and understanding of government bureaucracy to achieve client’s objectives with government stakeholders
- Applies creative thinking and problem-solving to client and firm challenges
- Has a developed ability to provide strategic advice
- Multi-tasks to manage multiple client demands and deploy firm’s resources appropriately
- Is a persuasive and articulate communicator
- Adheres to deadlines
- A proven ability to deliver projects in spite of such things as delays, changes in direction, and revised budgets
- Degree in Political Science, Communications, Journalism or Public Relations or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 6-8 years of working in government or public affairs or communications in a public affairs environment; agency experience a plus
- Strong BC provincial government/political network a must
- Demonstrated understanding of the British Columbia provincial political environment and public policy process and the ability to monitor and analyze ongoing developments of relevance to clients
- Proven ability to develop messages and materials for government officials, stakeholder groups, as well as for media or public audiences
- Demonstrated understanding of the Western Canada and national media environment
- Experience public policy and advocacy
- Experience leading account teams, coaching and mentoring staff
- Proven ability to manage multiple client activities, programs and budgets
- Highly motivated and able to identify and secure new business opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to establish internal and external partnerships
- Strong verbal, written and presentation communications skills
- Capacity to work well in a high-performing team
- Passion, enthusiasm and tenacity for the H+K brand
Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada (H+K) is a public relations and public affairs consultancy providing services to local, multinational and global clients from its eight offices across the country.
The firm works with clients to solve complex communications challenges and deliver award winning campaigns and is focused on continued innovation for the industry. H+K offers deep sector knowledge and breadth of public relations and public affairs expertise including specialists in health + wellness, technology, government + public sector, energy + industrials, consumer packaged goods, financial + professional services, food + drink, retail + leisure and sports.
Globally, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has offices in more than 40 countries as well as an extensive associate network; and it is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is dedicated to employment equity, seeks out diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any accommodation needs during the recruitment process, please reach out to us. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.