POSITION DESCRIPTION: PRACTICE LEADER
Reports to: Managing Director
BASIC SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- 8-to 10 years of professional experience in strategic communications, corporate and crisis communications, public affairs, or a directly related field.
- Deep understanding of the media and stakeholder engagement.
- An understanding of the nature of the relationship between government, the media and opinion leaders and stakeholders.
- Ability to draw on a large network of individuals and organizations to perform research and investigations on issues, trends, developments and individuals.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including decision-making, identifying and resolving personnel issues, problem solving, mentoring staff, leading by example, accepting responsibility and accountability for actions.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new business, including identifying opportunities, establishing contact, writing proposals and budgets, providing strategic and creative input in the design and creation of business strategies and presentations, demonstrated presentation skills, and “closing” on business.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills (Ukrainian, English)
- The ability to work with a team of people from Hill+Knowlton and within client environments.
The Practice Leader holds a client service and new business leadership position within Hill+Knowlton Strategies. The Practice Leader is responsible for providing senior counsel to clients, for generating significant new business opportunities for the firm and for the day-to-day management of one or more significant accounts. The Practice Leader provides mentorship to account teams while ensuring the quality of the work meets H+K’s high standards.
In general, Practice Leader will perform within the following broad categories, allocating time, emphasis and resources accordingly.
Account Management (45%)
- Leads one or more significant / complex accounts
- Builds and maintains client relationships
- Intercedes as necessary to address program issues for clients; ability to challenge clients when necessary/appropriate
- Provides stimulus for new ideas / approaches to client problems and programs
- Draws out the best thinking of clients to ensure pragmatic, well executed outcomes
- Positions the firm and colleagues with clients in ways that build a true institutional partnership
- Generates high value by moving the client organization to undertake and enact major change
- Initiates client feedback requests and takes action on any feedback that is received around identified strengths and areas for improvement
- Monitors clients’ contact with the rest of the account team
- Retains account(s)
- Uses authoritative knowledge of decision-makers and influencers to benefit clients
- Uses authoritative knowledge of multiple industries and business trends to benefit clients
- Identifies and presents emerging thinking / ideas to clients by tracking industry trends and activities
- Interprets client needs / problems
- Translates knowledge into improvements in service offering by anticipating client needs
- Knows the tools and proprietary insights and methodologies available within H+K and appropriately incorporates them into client programs
- Reviews key client deliverables for timeliness and quality
- Secures resources, staff and otherwise, to meet program execution requirements
- Provides strategic direction to account teams on the operational direction and performance goals
- Monitors staff workloads of those on same accounts and adjusts accordingly
- Demonstrates results / impact
New Business Development (30%)
- Qualifies new business opportunities
- Develops new business strategies based on emerging business trends and opportunities
- Leads new business pitches and presentations
- Direct responsibility for bringing in new business
- Engages in discussions with key business decision-makers to gain access into their organization or industry
- Converts opportunities by building strategic relationships with clients or potential clients to demonstrate H+K value
- Negotiates profitable scope of work / budgets
- Delivers revenue beyond individual utilization
- Is knowledgeable about the competitive environment
- Has an established network with thought-leaders
- Retains and expands existing client business and cross-sells the full range of H+K services as appropriate
- Develops new Hill+Knowlton products / services
- Uses global H+K and WPP resources to demonstrate value to prospects and clients
- Engages in thought-leadership / “insights” presentations / publishes in targeted forums (articles, blogs)
Financial Management (10%)
- Meets client budgets
- Ensures profitability of accounts: delegates to ensure right role / responsibility assignments, maximizes talent and resources
- Ensures the billings are prepared in a timely and accurate way on a monthly basis
- Actively manages revenue growth of accounts
- Contributes accurately to forecasts used by senior management to develop business plans for the office and agency
- Ensures signed contracts are on file for all client work
- Follows up on outstanding invoices and assists with collections
Staff Development (7%)
- Pro-actively identifies, networks with and attracts talent to H+K
- In coaching account teams, demonstrates attributes of and models effective senior counsel competencies in action
- Consistently prioritizes and engages with employee performance and development
- Provides support to the new business efforts of other staff
- Supervises account team members on the tasks they have been assigned
- Proactively provides feedback to account team members
- Assists other managers with staffing development as required
- Considers staff development objectives in assigning tasks
(Self) Professional Development (5%)
- Attending learning and development sessions
- Exploring opportunities to grow and learn through external experiences
- Taking online course offerings
- External training as identified
- Complies with PBN Hill+Knowlton Strategies administrative and personnel policies and procedures, including time tracking, expense reimbursements, travel, responsible use of Company provided credit cards, and allocation of company travel advancements.
- Maintains proficiency on firm’s basic operating programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Outlook, Access, FileMaker, among others).
- Maintains current understanding and knowledge of the Company’s clients, contacts, key players and goals.
- Creative thinking and problem-solving to client and firm
- Proven ability to provide strategic
- Ability to use media and stakeholder engagement to achieve client
- Proven ability to motivate and manage
- Be persuasive and articulate
- Ability to adhere to
- Proven ability to deliver projects in spite of such things as delays, changes in direction, and revised budgets.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this capacity. The employee will be expected to perform other related duties as required.
What The Role Can Offer You
- The opportunity to develop your career within a full-service and internationally networked communications consultancy
- Work on, shape, and deliver campaigns for some of the world’s biggest and most exciting brands
- The opportunity to develop your skills across the wider sector portfolio
- A fascinating role within a dynamic and talented team
- Industry competitive compensation and benefits
We are a preeminent strategic communications agency, doing business in Ukraine since 1997. Our client portfolio sits at the heart of the most fundamental issues facing business and society; we create compelling communications that change behaviors, secure license to operate and shape reputation.
Our team experience spans tech sectors, FMCG, retail, energy, aviation and logistics, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and new economies. For our clients we provide corporate and public affairs council as well as strategic reputation and issues management advice, integrated campaigns, digital and media relations, stakeholder engagement, content marketing programs and consumer behavior change campaigns. The work is by definition international, though we work mainly on the Ukrainian aspects of communications for clients.
We are a dynamic, friendly and collaborative team of 15; some of our recent and current clients include: IKEA, Google, P&G, Westinghouse, Shell, Uber, Wizz Air, Bayer, Visa, WNISEF, USAID/Chemonics, and many more.