Account Director/Senior Account Director
Account Director/Senior Account Director, Communications and Public Affairs
Hill+Knowlton is seeking a dynamic and experienced Account Director or Senior Account Director, Communications and Public Affairs to join our Western Canada team based out of our office in Vancouver, Canada.
As a public affairs and communications team leader across Western Canada, this Account Director/Senior Account Director is accountable for delivering superior client service on a variety of integrated communications, government relations, and public affairs programs, meeting financial objectives, including ensuring profitability, maintaining market profile and cultivating new business opportunities to grow the practice.
Here’s what you’d be doing:
- Leading or supporting national and regional client accounts, applying strategic thinking and planning, deploying resources and ensuring quality and best in class client service.
- Delivering innovative, creative approaches that set the standard within the industry.
- Delivering persuasive presentations at client meetings and new business pitches
- Conducting account and project audits
- Ensuring programs are implemented in timely, cost-effective and relevant ways
- Managing profitability for accounts and/or performance and utilization of account teams
- Measuring and reviewing success of H+K programs for clients against stated goals
- Developing key relationships with media, stakeholders, governmental officials and providing expert analysis and insight into current political issues and government relations.
- Providing mentorship, professional development and contributing to new talent recruitment and more junior team members.
- Although based in Vancouver, this position may require travel across the Western Canadian region.
What else is in it for you?
- Full health benefits package—including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and client accounts
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
What you’ll need to get here:
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Political Science, Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations or a commensurate combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 8 – 10 years of public policy, government, regulatory, or journalism experience, including in a leadership role.
- Experience with the political process, including governmental policy development and the legislative cycle
- Demonstrated understanding of the political environment and public policy process and the ability to monitor and analyze ongoing developments of relevance to clients
- Proven ability to develop messages and materials for government officials, stakeholder groups, as well as for media or public audiences
- Demonstrated understanding of the Western Canada and national media environment with key newsroom contacts
- Proven experience managing an account team from a financial, client delivery and staffing perspective
- Solid presentation skills including the ability to communicate and sell ideas to prospects and clients
- Established network of senior business and government contacts
- Solid experience in planning and delivering integrated public affairs programs to support our client objectives
- Management experience building teams, recruiting and retaining, coaching and mentoring professional staff
- Demonstrated capability in the development of messages and materials for Governmental officials
- Proven ability to deliver projects in spite of such things as delays, changes in direction, revised budgets and illness of staff
- Strong project and budget management skills, ability to delegate and prioritize
- A sense of judgment to set realistic expectations in the face of client demands
- Passion, tenacity and enthusiasm for the H+K brand
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is dedicated to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any accommodation needs during the recruitment process, please reach out to us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K), a global public relations and integrated communications consultancy, offers senior counsel, insightful research and strategic communications throughout the world. We’ve been in the business of harnessing the power of the public for over 90 years, and our world-class teams of trusted advisors, digital masters and creative experts help our clients navigate today’s uncertain world to strengthen their brands, reputations, and bottom lines.
H+K works with over 50 percent of the Fortune Global 500 companies and some of the world’s most transformative social enterprises and technology companies in both established and emerging markets.
Our relationship with WPP — one of the world’s largest communications groups — gives us an unmatched worldwide presence and a deep bench, including our own strategic partnerships and acquisitions. We create ideas to believe in.