Hill+Knowlton Strategies is an international public relations company with over 85 offices around the world. We believe that every corporation, brand and client has a public, and today’s public is more powerful than ever before. They have the power to topple CEOs, reshape corporate and brand strategy, kill products and create unicorns. Today’s public demands truth, transparency and the highest behavioral standards.
Our client obsession means constantly evolving new products + services to help brands and the public communicate. Always in beta.
At H+K our belief is that the agency is a canvas for everyone to write their own story. This job description is written at a moment in time; whatever role you take at H+K we expect you to evolve that role; it should be different tomorrow than it is today and set new standards in the industry.
We are currently seeking a talented communications leader to serve as General Manager, leading our business in the Prairie Region, seated with our dynamic team in Alberta.
The General Manager will lead and inspire nimble teams across the prairies and build a legacy by helping to grow our business and continuing to build a diversified client base in Canada.
Your overall responsibilities will include:
The most important contribution you can make is within the area of leadership—business leadership and talent leadership. We expect you to provide a strong presence and counsel to practice leaders in the region. Deep market knowledge and government and public relations savvy are required to think strategically and act tactically to support H+K and its staff. The General Manager will be responsible for the prairies P&L, driving growth and evangelizing the H+K brand to attract and retain world-class talent.
You must have a passion for managing business and be client-obsessed and creative. You will be expected to provide strategic counsel to clients at a C-suite level and help client leaders do the same, lending the necessary time and support to help accounts realize their full potential and to ensure account profitability. You will promote opportunities to involve other company offices in client support.
As General Manager, one of your passions is business development. You will be responsible for actively and aggressively developing new business, properly vetting leads and guiding the pitch process to convert leads into new clients. You have extensive industry knowledge and a robust network of contacts to help keep H+K on the cutting edge while growing the business.
The agency will grow by landing and fostering the right talent. One of your key responsibilities will be to help ensure the prairies provides top-tier training, new challenges and career growth for employees, creating an environment that fosters employee retention with authenticity and transparency. You are a mentor and source of support to those reporting to you and serve as inspiration to junior staff. You invest in your team and lead by example to uphold a supreme level of client service, quality work and high-level strategic thinking in team members of all levels.
Key Selection Criteria:
The ideal candidate, you will possess the following:
• 15-20 years of public relations experience at the mid-to senior level with both agency and client-side experience
• Deep sector knowledge across multiple verticals including Public Affairs, Government Relations, Energy and more with a deep understanding of strategic communications and public relations principals
• Strong financial literacy, having led a significant P&L with a track record of success maintaining growth and profitability
• Experience building and managing virtual, small yet dynamic teams, demonstrating leadership by growing and retaining talent
• Talented, client-obsessed leader able to forge strong relationships with C-Suite client contacts, allocating necessary resources and problem solving to avoid client issues
• Strong track record of success leading business development efforts; growth mindset and the ability to convert new opportunities, present with charisma and maximize opportunities for organic growth
• Industry leader with a strong base of contacts, able to serve as an ambassador and thought leader for the H+K brand
• A cultural champion with a genuine love for the people and the work
If you think this is the right position for you, please submit your résumé, portfolio and cover letter.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K), a global public relations and integrated communications consultancy, offers senior counsel, insightful research and strategic communications throughout the world. We’ve been in the business of harnessing the power of the public for over 90 years, and our world-class teams of trusted advisors, digital masters and creative experts help our clients navigate today’s uncertain world to strengthen their brands, reputations, and bottom lines.
H+K works with over 50 percent of the Fortune Global 500 companies and some of the world’s most transformative social enterprises and technology companies in both established and emerging markets.
Our relationship with WPP — one of the world’s largest communications groups — gives us an unmatched worldwide presence and a deep bench, including our own strategic partnerships and acquisitions. We create ideas to believe in.