Director of Energy & Industrial
H+K - ENERGY + INDUSTRIALS SECTOR
H+K is an international communications agency and was the first large agency to structure itself around industry sectors to deliver deep industry knowledge. This is supported by specialist areas including ideas, creativity, strategy, content creation and publishing. Everyone in our agency is expected to constantly evolve, to reinvent their capabilities and to set new standards in the industry.
We are looking for an experienced Director to join the leadership team of our Energy + Industrials sector, a thriving practice of more than 30 communications specialists in London.
Our team experience spans traditional energy, renewable energy, power and utilities, transport, logistics, manufacturing and industrial tech. For our clients we provide corporate and public affairs counsel as well as strategic reputation and issues management advice, integrated campaigns, digital and media relations, stakeholder engagement, content marketing programmes and consumer behaviour change campaigns. The work is by definition international, though we work mainly on the UK and European aspects of communications for clients.
Our client portfolio sits at the heart of the most fundamental issues facing business and society; from managing the energy transition to supporting the rollout of electric vehicle infrastructure; from accelerating the development of smart cities, through to ending plastic pollution and catalysing a circular economy we create compelling communications that change behaviours, secure license to operate and shape reputation.
Recent and current clients include: Shell, Hitachi, Oil & Gas Climate Initiative, Smart Energy GB, Amcor, Equinor, DS Smith, Net Zero Teeside, Honda, Ellen Macarthur Foundation, Uniper, DNV GL and the Institute of Economics and Peace.
ABOUT YOU – THE ROLE
We are looking to recruit a well-rounded, well-connected communications Director with experience in the energy sector to stimulate new growth in the practice in the UK and globally and to lead client mandates. The ideal candidate will understand the policy, sustainability, regulatory and public engagement context in the UK shaping the operating environment of clients in the energy, utilities, oil & gas, renewables and/or industrials and manufacturing sectors.
This role requires someone with a corporate and/or public affairs background and while you may have some in-house experience, you’ll ideally bring strong consultancy skills gained working in an agency environment. Team management is a big part of this role. You’ll know how to thrive in a fast-paced environment and understand how to balance competing priorities and will enjoy the commercial aspects that come with running and growing a team.
The successful candidate will lead strategic planning for issues-rich clients and you’ll bring creativity to your approach to corporate communications. You understand how to deliver the deepest and broadest communications for clients with campaigns that engage business, policy and stakeholder audiences through multiple channels.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate:
Exceptional client management
- Be a trusted advisor to clients, maintaining a big picture strategic view of client business
- Cultivate best practice and maintain excellent client relationships
- Direct client activity with confidence and vision
- Proactively drive new business development
- Show a comprehensive understanding of agency finances and a proven track record in P+L responsibility
- Foster a growth mindset, encouraging organic growth of account teams, whilst upholding operational competence, quality control and team profitability
A commitment to People and Culture
- Nurture teams, helping to develop the careers of your direct reports and other members of the team
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and model behaviours
- Encourage and demonstrate a culture of collaboration and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
WORK WE ARE PROUD OF
- Developing and launching Net Zero Teeside, the UK’s most significant carbon, capture, utilisation and storage project
- Activating global thought leadership campaigns for an international trade association working at the heart of the energy transition
- Leading the national conversation on energy efficiency with Smart Energy GB, activating national creative campaigns to drive awareness around the rollout of smart meters in the UK
- Supporting the Ellen McArthur Foundation with media relations campaigns around some of the world’s most pressing sustainability issues
WHAT THE ROLE CAN OFFER YOU
- Access to a global network of specialist communicators working with leading brands and clients
- Exposure to globally recognised clients and campaigns centred upon performance and purpose
- The ability to work as part of a passionate and supportive team at one of the world’s most respected, award-winning PR agencies
- Breadth of learning opportunities working across the H+K business with our experts in areas such as consumer brands, internal comms, crisis + issues management, behavioural science and digital and content production
- Support from a dedicated creativity, design and content publishing team
- Our industry-leading training academy – The Hub
KEY H+K BENEFITS
- 28 days annual leave
- Comprehensive health insurance (Bupa)
- SMART pension scheme
- Employee discount scheme
- Group life assurance scheme
- Enhanced maternity + paternity pay
- Subsidised on-site bar
- Vouchers + extra day’s holiday for key milestone anniversaries
H+K is creating a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone belongs. As a company and as co-workers, we are building a workplace where everyone can reach their full potential. We are an inclusive employer and we always consider flexible working arrangements.