Sports- Account Manager
H+K’s Sports practice is a trusted advisor to some of the biggest brands, federations and sponsors in sport. We’re experts in the business side of Sport. But we play for the human side. Believing in the power of sport to change lives, working every day to positively impact cultures and change societies for the better.
With a fanatical team at the centre of our client’s audience, we know how, why and where they consume the things they love. Creating some of the most memorable and unmissable moments in sport over the past two decades. Whether it’s to play it or power it, love it or learn from it, we exist to put our clients at the heart of sport.
Some of our most recent celebrated work includes creating an iconic Paper magazine cover shoot with Lionel Messi and a goat for adidas, producing two long form documentaries for HSBC on the rugby 7s teams of Fiji and USA and making Waistcoat Wednesday an iconic cultural moment for M&S.
Amongst this exciting period we are looking for new talent at Account Manager level to join our team of twenty five, and ensure our numerous exciting campaigns and projects are run to best in class standard.
Main responsibilities include:
- Own the mid-level client relationship ensuring they are kept fully up to speed
- Contribute to account planning and project ideas
- Deliver best in class media relations, strategy and counsel on behalf of clients
- Manage commercials ensuring projects are run to budget
- Identify newsworthy brand stories and find compelling ways to share them across earned media or social content
We organise our work around three core pillars – sponsor brands, federations and associations, and sports products and services. Exact client mix for our new team members will be decided based on skill set but could include any or all of these sectors. The team is also going through an exciting period of working closely with H+K’s tech team, fuelling rapid growth in the entertainment sector including international and UK work for Activision and Facebook’s AR and VR division.
An Account Manager in H+K’s sports practice needs to…
Have a strong work ethic
As an Account Manager in the ‘always on’ world of sports you will need to be hard working and ready to react to changes quickly providing great counsel to clients and senior management. You will need to be highly resilient and ready to work with clients who are often across different time zones and reacting in real time to sporting events taking place on evenings and weekends. You won’t mind though, as you will love being part of some of the most exciting moments in global sports.
Be passionate about sports
You will have a passion for sports and fitness and their role in people’s lives and always be looking for great stories and opportunities for your client. That might be spotting a new fitness trend, identifying a potential brand ambassador or observing a behaviour among fans and participants that can fuel a great idea. You love sports as a fan, and participant, but have a professional eye for opportunities. You believe in the power of sports to change lives and to reach humanity on a level that nothing else can.
Be organised and resilient
Some days your to do list will change before you’ve even switched on your laptop, but you thrive in that environment and never drop a ball. You’re a great team worker and communicator and know when to manage up and when to delegate. You are skilled at managing and developing junior members of staff and team workloads.
In return you can enjoy…
The exact client portfolio will be selected to compliment the individual, but H+K Sports work with some of the biggest names in sport and work could include:
- Team GB: Helping get the nation behind the athletes ahead of Tokyo 2020 by working with our diverse and inspiring range of Olympians. H+K has supported Team GB on the last three summer and winter games.
- Visa: Supporting on sports sponsorships including their ground breaking partnership with UEFA on women’s football and the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. H+K was newly appointed by Visa in 2019 to deliver all of their sports sponsorship work.
- adidas: H+K works for adidas on both a UK and global level covering everything from football to basketball to running. H+K has worked for adidas for over 25 years, covering everything from the original Predator launch to the new Predator Mutator released this month.
- ITF: Working with the International Tennis Federation to reinvigorate interest in the Davis Cup as tennis’ premier global team competition
- Duracell: Innovating Duracell’s sports sponsorship work from negotiating their partnership with the Great Run Series to delivering a first of it’s kind activation with Chelsea for Amazon Prime’s live Premier League debut
Access to industry leading expertise
You will benefit from access to industry leading specialists, including data and analytics experts who will help you refine insights and audience information and evaluate campaign success. We also have an in-house studio for creative support in everything from video production to experiential event support and document design. Those combined with content and publishing expertise and a team of behavioural scientists gives you a range of experts you can draw on to ensure you deliver amazing client campaigns.
Top class learning and development opportunities
H+K offers a range of learning and development opportunities both within our network and as part of WPP. There will be the opportunity to travel to other H+K offices and take part in central training with peers from around the global network. You will have the chance to work with other WPP agencies to sharpen your understanding of the wider marketing mix.
If this sounds like you please submit your CV and cover letter.