Vice President, Corporate Affairs
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is seeking a confident and dynamic Vice President to join our team in Chicago, IL with a focus on Corporate Communications. In this role, you will be responsible for leading high-performing communications teams driving new opportunities across a diverse range of influential clients, who are committed to flawless execution and quantifiable results.
The Communications world is often divided between advisers and doers. You must be both. You must be capable of providing C-suite executives unique insights and problem-solving guidance while still working closely with your team to develop and execute campaigns. You must be able to manage people and effectively maintain your accounts, managing all administrative and financial aspects of the work. This vice president will also serve as a leader in the firm, the office and to internal teams – reaching beyond client work, providing cross team leadership and mentorship.
By its nature, Communications is a social and persuasive activity. From a new business pitch to the day-to-day account work, you must be confident in your ability to engage and persuade challenging individuals that your advisory guidance and tactical skills are worthy of their investment.
The ideal candidate brings public relations agency or in-house experience with a corporate communications focus and a record of accomplishment. This leader will boast a robust portfolio of work, having led campaigns and helped clients navigate numerous communications challenges and opportunities including: leadership positioning, mergers+acquisitions and transactional communications, corporate social responsibility, corporate reputation, crisis communications, financial communications, and change communications and employee engagement.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Providing account strategy and counsel, generating fresh, smart ideas and leading campaigns
- Developing strong and trusted relationships with clients as the team lead on several key accounts
- Implementing comprehensive strategic communications and stakeholder engagement activities
- Crafting thoughtful points of view and recommendations based on a broad understanding of corporate communications and client landscapes
- Developing campaign strategy, client messaging and thought leadership programs
- Driving growth on existing clients and identifying and securing new business opportunities
- Directly managing, mentoring and working alongside a collaborative team of smart and enthusiastic PR professionals
- Creating and executing PESO influencer strategies; managing media relations and influencer engagement projects and building relationships with key stakeholders
- Serving as a point of quality control, reviewing and editing written materials to ensure high quality
Attributes + Qualifications:
- 10+ years of public relations agency experience (or combined agency + in-house)
- High level business media relations strategy and execution experience with relevant contacts
- Proven trusted client adviser: an active listener who builds strong partnerships and confidently offers counsel
- Strategic thinker: understands our clients’ business and communications challenges and develops smart, insight-driven strategies
- Creative spark: brings a fresh perspective to our clients and develops ideas that challenge conventions
- Growth mindset: actively seeks opportunities to drive organic growth; proactively seeks new business leads and has a history of leading and winning pitches
- Passionate: Lives and breathes the client’s business. Understands the client’s pain points. Is an abstract thinker. Understands the relationship between two disparate pieces of information. Is curious, questions the status quo, and is and an avid consumer of information.
- Operationally savvy: experienced at effectively managing multiple accounts and client budgets
- People-centric: committed to the development of team members through active coaching and mentoring
- Progressive mind-set: interested in evolving communications and the role of PR within the Marketing mix; brave enough to try new approaches and adopt new technologies and willing to take calculated risks to do better and more meaningful work
- Strong and wide grasp of all things social & digital media; knowledge of how to use social media platforms to their maximum benefit with an understanding of how to identify and leverage influencers
- Energy and passion to contribute to and help foster a fun, collaborative and thriving office culture locally and nationally
What the role can offer you:
- The ability to work for an iconic, established agency with a ‘start up’ mentality and approach to business
- Competitive benefits package—including healthy vacation allotment, 401(k) matching, medical/dental/vision support, schedule flexibility (hours & location), fitness reimbursement, commuter assistance and more.
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and large, well known client brands
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills to become your professional best
- The opportunity to join the H+K leadership team representing one of the best PR brands in Chicago
This is an exciting time for Hill + Knowlton Strategies. We are one of the first agencies to structure itself around sectors, to deliver deep industry knowledge, supported by specialist areas in Data and Insights, Strategy, Behavioral Science, Content Creation and Publishing. We are client obsessed, always evolving to meet the demands of our client business, empowering our colleagues to do things differently, and welcoming innovative ideas and solutions. We are connected as one, no matter where we operate in the world.
H+K and its Chicago office serves a wide portfolio of brands and businesses across a variety of sectors. This fast paced and ambitious team delivers award winning work for some of the world’s most iconic and disruptive brands. No matter the client or the sector, we challenge ourselves to create campaigns and content that cuts through and creates tangible impact. Each day, more than 2000 of the smartest, most innovative and collaborative people in the world come to work at Hill +Knowlton Strategies. We were named one of PR Week’s ‘Best Companies to Work For’ in 2019 and we invite you to join us!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Hill+Knowlton Strategies does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, creed, color, age, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, national origin, or ancestry.