Business Operations Manager
Job ID 82
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
This position is responsible for ensuring existing internal controls are appropriately applied and that proper monitoring mechanisms are in place to identify weaknesses and risk. This position will work collaboratively with all country offices to ensure any weaknesses and/or risk are reduced or eliminated. This position operates a robust system of oversight to ensure cases of non-compliance are identified and corrected. The position will have an integral part of the proposal team that provides management oversight and is responsible for assisting the Area Team in decision-making and support related to the cost and pricing function of donor proposals. This position advises, coordinates and/or leads the preparation of high -quality cost and pricing for donor proposals. This position will analyze and determine essential cost elements needed for donor proposal submission, in relation to the donor’s requirements. It is the responsibility of this position to ensure cost are fully recovered in budgets while ensuring internal requirements are met.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Action-oriented, collborative, ability to communicate effectively, ability to manage complexity, customer focused, ability to persuade, resilient, drives results, ablity to balance stakeholders, strategic mindset, ablity to build effective teams and instill trust
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Support country offices to develop budgets and budget narratives for proposals.
- Budget draft and narrative shared with proposal team and finance focal points for input.
- Near final budget draft and narrative to be shared with Green and Red teams for review.
- Final budget and narrative for submission to funder
- Budget templates and budget narrative templates for major donors including USG (e.g. grant, Time &Materials, Cost Plus Fixed Fee, full project costing), EC, UN, WB, etc. with built-in formulas.
- Managing and consolidating the Americas portfolio budget
- Work closely with Area Program Managers on budget amendment process and project implementation
- Proposal Budget development training (for Country staff), guidelines, and training materials.
- Budget scenarios for the proposal team to review and decide on the best scenario that will ensure a competitive bid.
- Develop a costing library by country office.
- Budget line items accurately reflect the proposal technical approach.
- Final budget that ensures maximum Level of Effort for Heifer.
- Create and maintain matrixs that can be shared with program, finance teams and country offices
- Accurate financial reports based on donor requirement
- Perform and support both program and financial internal review and planning process.
- Ensure compliance in project close out, donor reports and policy and procedure follow up.
- Manage data within financial ERP system.
- Analyze data and reporting from financial ERP system
- Bachelor’s degree plus seven (7) years of job-related experience.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Master’s degree in Finance and Administration, Accounting and Business Development.
- Minimum two (2) or more years in working in remote/branch office, requiring frequent communication with home office and other branch offices.
- Knowledge of Agresso ERP system
- Demonstrated success in developing cost proposals for major funders including bi-lateral and multilateral agencies as well as corporations and foundations.
- Experience managing complex, multi-partner cost proposals.
- Excellent MS Excel skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills in prime/ sub role
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce high-quality work under pressure.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically, regionally and internationally as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal colleagues and external clients.
- Strong leadership, teamwork, coaching and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly to a variety of colleagues and diverse constituents at all levels, in both oral and written communication via phone, email or in person.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional weekends, after hours and holidays as required.
- Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks and manage consistently competing priorities.
- Must be comfortable in a rapidly changing environment. Must be flexible and able to improvise to handle a variety of situations.
- Must be able to produce and present critical, analytical reports in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Highly motivated with a willingness to work closely in a team as well as independently for extended periods.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Must be able to perform simple and complex mathematical computations.
- Ability to focus on the detail.