Job ID 123
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
The Finance Assistant, under the guidance of the Senior Finance Officer (SFO), has the responsibility for the following key areas: Assist in the delivery of financial management functions, maintaining financial administrative systems, and keeping adequate, complete and accessible records. S/he will assist in managing grants, contract, and compliance; reviewing budgets and ensuring appropriate systems and support mechanisms are in place to track, analyze and progress reports.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Commitment to accuracy and attention to details, respectful, flexible and trustworthy, self-motivated, result-oriented and an individual with high integrity and accountability.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Financial Management (80%)
- Record transactions
- Ensure the authenticity of receipts
- Review project and staff travel advance payment requests to ensure sound financial management and adherence to Heifer finance policies and procedures.
- Involved in asset counts
- Document achieving; Ensure that all supporting documents are uploaded into Agresso.
- Capture travel expense or reimbursement reports.
- Receipting of all cash received.
- Process staff Travel Advance and other payments to ensure proper supporting documents to the payment vouchers.
- Maintain payment transaction tracking schedules (Travel Advances and Vendor Invoices).
- Conduct periodic stock counts and
- reconciliations with the Administrator.
- Stamp and properly file all payments and other expense documents to ensure that they are in-line with HPI policies and procedures.
- Assist in audit preparations as required.
- Provide support to the monthly financial reporting preparation and distribution.
- Ensure all transactions are scanned and uploaded in Agresso as per Global Finance Operations guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration and plus two (2) years of relevant work experience.
- At least Two (2 years’) experience in managing finance and administration in the non-governmental sector and familiarity with major donor regulations and administrative procedures, e.g. EC, DfID preferably someone with Agresso Accounting Software.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong knowledge of Excel, data entry into Accounting Software and other Microsoft programs.
- Knowledge of office systems and procedures.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics.
- Strong written English and verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of working and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Experience in conducting compliance visits and the ability to work independently under pressure.
- Ability to plan, balance and cope with competing priorities.
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Ability to manage confidential information.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively, both locally and internationally.
- Willingness and ability to work with a flexible schedule.
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, and cooperation.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues.
- Ability to establish priorities, achieve deadlines and make sound judgments.
- Proven leadership and administrative skills.