Finance and Administrative Assistant
Job ID 119
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The East Africa Youth Inclusion Program (EAYIP) Finance and Administrative Assistant, under the guidance of the EAYIP Cluster Coordinator, is the first contact point to visitors, consultants, and partners. S/he is primarily responsible for the day to day financial and administrative operations of the region cluster office by providing support to the Cluster team. She/he will provide support to the project by maintaining systems of accountability, establishing and maintaining communications between program offices as well as partners and performing basic administrative tasks as assigned. S/he will implement procedures that promote financial discipline to meet organizational goals as well as maintaining an efficient document retrieval system. S/he will also assist with financial and accounting aspects of the Regional Cluster office and processing of routine financial transactions in accordance with Heifer's policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Self-motivated, result-oriented, high integrity, accountable, reliable, values-based, detailed oriented, effective communicator and a team player.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Provision of Administrative and logistical support. (35%).
- Ensure the safety and security of the office and equipment.
- Support to the maintenance of premises and common services,
- Responsible for project vehicle and motorcycle maintenance;
- Line management of the Driver and ensure adherence to traffic rules and Heifer Vehicle policy.
- Manage communications - act as the first point of call for all external communications including general email, and telephone inquiries
- Handling all incoming and outgoing correspondences.
- Ensure timely payment of utilities bills ie electricity water etc, security and rent.
- Compiling monthly regional cluster finance information for the EAYIP Country Office.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Support for assets management and physical assets verification.
- Prepare & submit weekly vehicle logs.
- Update asset and inventory register as appropriate.
- Perform duties of logistician and storekeeper.
- Purchase and replenish office supplies as needed.
- In consultation with Procurement Admin, solicit for vendor quotations and follow up on LPO from Country Office
- Follow-up on delivery/GRN note for all deliveries to our beneficiaries.
Provision of financial support to the cluster office. (30%)
- Support the Cluster Coordinator and hub Managers in the development/Preparation of quarterly budgets and forecasts.
- Prepare a receipt of vendor invoices and fund payment requests.
- Enforce Petty cash management and accountability.
- Manage fuel requisitions.
- Scanning and archive documents and assist in loading documents into Agresso by the 10th of everything month.
- Prepare cluster payments including mobile money payments i.e. receive, check, update the mobile money template and upload to the platform.
- Timely review and submission of Cluster and hubs monthly expenditure report.
- Follow up on Cluster invoices and payments.
- Follow up on vendor receipts as appropriate.
- Provide financial training and mentorship to the hub management.
- Support country office in month-end closing.
Manage Finance and Program filing system to ensure that the project documents and records are appropriately filed and secured for easy retrieval. (10%)
- Financial files are created for the project.
- All relevant documentation for the project is filed immediately when received.
- Ensure that proper filing is according to HPI policies and procedures.
- Ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Performs other duties assigned by his/her supervisor or designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration or related field equivalent with three (3) years of hands-on related experience.
- Practical experience in various aspects of accounting principles and practices with a good understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles(GAAP) or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- At least three (3) years of relevant work experience. Experience in a similar post in a multilateral organization will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in administration, procurement, financial accounting and the full range of office support work, with a high level of sustained performance
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Exemplary customer care and administrative skills
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software and the ability to help organize data and information retrieval systems.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Ability to produce accurate documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to operate all standard office equipment including copiers, scanners, fax machines, and printers.
- Ability to establish priorities, achieve deadlines and make sound judgments.
- Ability to perform as an effective team member and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Constant telephone, face-to-face and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.