Finance and Administrative Officer
Job ID 293
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Finance and Administrative Officer will be responsible for providing substantive support for accounting aspects of the Heifer Country Office. This position will be accountable for the maintenance of accounting related systems, implement accepted methods of accounting and assure proper internal controls and perform guided assessments of controls related to financial activities, reporting and compliance. This position will apply critical thinking to manage the business of the Country Office, in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. The Finance and Administrative Officer will apply, reinforce general accounting standards and Heifer's policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Financial acumen; Tech savvy; Action oriented; Plans and aligns; Optimizes work processes; Ensures accountability; Drives results; Collaborates; Communicates effectively; Courage; Instills trust and Nimble learning.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Support the Country team in accounts management to ensure compliance. (25%)
- Facilitate accurate and timely transactions that will feed into donor reporting, dashboards and other key donor deliverables
- Record all transactions in the accounting system; coordinate with team members to complete all accounting procedures to produce monthly financial statements in accordance with local GAAP or IFRS
- Complement ongoing documentation and implementation of industry standards in accounts management and compliance
B. Ensure regulatory and organizational compliance of accounting transactions within the country program offices and support global consolidation of financial statements. (25%)
- Facilitate requests related to independent external audits and other agreed-upon procedures providing financial information and follow-up
- Reconcile all transactions in the accounting system to the general ledger and financial reports
- Register and maintain fixed assets in the accounting system.
- Manage the staff expenditure and reimbursement process.
- Ensure adequate documentation for payments to vendors and partners, checking accuracy of invoices and other supporting documents
- Accountable to support responses to queries on the status of payments, accounts, expenditures and obligations and resolve any discrepancies.
C. Provide support on pre- and post-award financial and accounting management to ensure compliance with donor agreements. (25%)
- Support processes for project budgeting and reforecasting
- Support review of budget requests for timely processing of fund releases
- Monitor project burn-rates
- Monitor compliance with grant agreements
- Support preparation of accurate and timely donor reporting, dashboards and other key donor deliverables
- Ongoing documentation and implementation of industry-standard grant management and compliance procedures
- Preparation and maintenance of accurate and timely periodic reporting, dashboards and other key deliverables to senior management
- Regular and timely expenditure review
- Monitor donor agreement reporting dates and respond to compliance inquiries related to donor request
- Assist in providing administrative and accounting support to staff and project partners through trainings and field monitoring.
- Support partner/cooperatives in submission of reports.
- Assist in monitoring project partners to ensure implementation of Heifer Partner’s policies and program impact
D. Provide administrative support to fixed asset, inventory, supply chain and logistics processes. (20%)
- Manage day to day office administration
- Manage procurement and all purchases related to goods and services, including quotations, comparative tables, contracts and ensure compliance based on Heifer’s or the Donor’s standards.
- Provide adequate and timely logistical support for office operations and other activities
- Ensure upkeep of office facilities and fixed assets
- Maintain seamless filing and record keeping system for travel and trip reports, attendance and leave approvals
- Coordinate and/or facilitate local and international travel arrangements, meetings, conferences
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, plus three (3) years of related experience.
Knowledge of Farmer Producer Organizations.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of the NGO business sector; Knowledge of institutional funders for international development, a plus.
- Ability to navigate financial and non-financial data gathering and analytics; technically adept with ability to quickly learn and maximize usage of technology and software; effective user of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate skill in MS Excel.
- Practical knowledge of the local country generally accepted accounting principles and fiscal statutes.
- Experience with accounting systems.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to work under pressure, perform multiple tasks and manage consistently competing priorities; comfortable in rapidly changing environment. Must be flexible and able to improvise to handle a variety of situations.
- Ability to effectively train individuals and teams using participatory methodologies.
- Ability to work with delicate personnel situations and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain close relationships and work with team members from a distance and with limited opportunity for personal interaction.
- Constant sitting and working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Constant face-to-face, electronic and telephone communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability to prepare documents and other materials in a well-designed and attractive format, with attention to detail
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Adequate physical condition necessary to travel to project sites in rural areas.