Job ID 400
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Communications Officer will be expected to provide strategic and operational leadership for all aspects of Heifer Project International’s ( HPI ) internal and external communications in Zambia. This includes working very closely with the senior management team and consultants to develop country-relevant communication strategies, managing vendors for brand asset delivery, managing stakeholder relationships in the public, private and non-profit sectors, and brand communications with target audiences. She/he will be tasked with supporting the ongoing repositioning of the brand in Zambia, working with colleagues and key stakeholders within HPI’s network in Africa.
The position will interface with the media establishment on behalf of Heifer Project International i.e. develop and manage relationships with appropriate media agencies and organizations, publications, editorial staff, relevant and influential media professionals, and influencers; institute capacity building seminars and implement the protocol for official interaction for media inquiries, press conferences and media visits within Zambia.
The Communications Officer will also be responsible for providing public relations and communications support to Heifer Project International Zambia programs and interventions, including the development and dissemination of appropriate messaging, aligned to the Country program’s agenda, guidelines, systems, and procedures, through a variety of traditional and social media channels.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Action-oriented; Analytical; Results-oriented; Team player; Pragmatic and Self-motivated; Attentive to details.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLESA. Communication, Collaboration, and Coordination (30%)
- Manage internal communications effectively to support the country's strategy and programs.
- Coordinate brand communication with program partners and external stakeholders.
- Collate relevant country-specific information and insights, including project stories, articles, media exposures, etc. for dissemination on the corporate website and online platforms.
- Coordinate communications for donor activities, including outreach campaigns and activities, events, visits, offsite tours, etc.
- Establish cordial ties with relevant media organizations and representatives to enlist their interest and advocacy for Heifer Project International Zambia.
- Advice the Country Director and Management on media and communications affairs.
- Nurture healthy ties with key external stakeholders in the Agriculture, Technology, Government, and NGO/CSO sectors, at national and sub-national levels to advance the mission of Heifer Project International in Zambia.
- Conduct regular stakeholder mapping exercises of the Zambian business and political environment to provide Heifer Project International Zambia with insights on country-specific information on policy and economic issues.
- Be the go-to person for information and training on media industry insights and nuances – to support the Country Director and other senior staff in their roles as Country and Program Leads and Spokespersons. High-quality and timely information disseminated.
- Established and maintained excellent working relationships and linkages with Government, media, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Annual, semester, quarterly, and monthly reports are produced in the most professional, attractive way and shared.
- Systems of information flow and communications established and maintained.
- Communications materials are produced quarterly in the most accurate attractive way.
- Communication capacity among key staff strengthened bi-annually.
- Ensure the top of the mind awareness for Heifer Project International in Zambia and achieve the highest visibility in the development sector in key media, by ensuring 80% positive media mention.
- Design, write, edit, produce and distribute communication products (e.g., newsletters, annual reports, short note series, brochures, Web sites, capacity statements, photos) to inform target audiences and the general public. Communicating consistent and coherent messages about Heifer and her activities.
- Manage Heifer brand communication assets and channels.
- Social Media content management and messaging. Heifer promotional materials on planned and achieved activities and success stories are produced and shared with all key stakeholders quarterly.
- Social media messages are reviewed and communication is well-managed, properly documented, and circulated monthly.
- Document and communicate key project achievements, donor partnership meetings, field days, technology and innovation success stories, human interest/ farmers success stories, videos, photos, monitoring, and evaluation activities, launch, business development initiatives, and lessons learned for closed projects, etc.
- Provide technical guidance on documenting project activities/ events/successes.
- Support Country Office engagements with the Regional and Global communications teams to organize content and documentation.
- Project highlights and events are documented most accurately and professionally monthly.
- Project/program information analyzed, professionally packaged, and disseminated quarterly in the right media.
- Visibility and fundraising materials produced in collaboration with the MELs Manager for reliable, credible, and consistent data/information quarterly.
- A smooth and collaborative working relationship with Heifer Regional and Global communications teams is established.
- Work very closely with the program teams on the design and production of communication materials such as photographs, films (both soft and hard copies).
- Ensure safe custody of communications equipment such as cameras and audio recorders.
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder database. High-quality communication and information materials are well managed in the Corral and other HPI approved sites monthly.
- Communications and networking files are updated and documented monthly.
- Assets are safeguarded and well managed.
- Stakeholders database established and updated quarterly.
- Carry out other duties assigned to you in the best interest of Heifer Project International.
- Bachelor’s in Public Relations, Mass Communications, Development Studies, or related field, plus five (5) years of related experience.
- Master’s degree in a similar field preferred with at least 3 years of practical working experience in communication and networking. Work experience in the NGO sector is an added advantage.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with good research and analytical proficiency to verify the information and assist with the development of speeches/presentations/brochures/infomercials/short clip videos.
- Strong communication, management, organizational, decision-making, innovation, creativity, and interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and nutrition, the environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Ability to cultivate relationships with relevant local media and other local partners.
- Ability to listen and persuade effectively while promoting the vision and strategic goals of Heifer International Zambia.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail, and Internet software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English and at least two of Zambia’s local languages both oral and written
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling Heifer’s values and ethical standards.
- Openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone, and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Zambia. Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
- Holder of a clean Republic of Zambia’s driver's license.