Assistant to the Vice President of Philanthropy
Job ID 21
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Provide key coordination in the daily operations of the Philanthropy Team and provide direct assistance to the Vice President (VP) of Philanthropy in all aspects, including operations management and execution of financial, administrative and human resources functions both at headquarters and remotely, as well as liaise with various other departments at Headquarters on areas of work including, but not limited to, daily operations, communication, policies and procedures, and legal issues. Additionally, this position will be responsible for coordinating all Philanthropy special projects initiatives.
Essential Character Traits
Detail-oriented, Organized, Energetic, Positive, Collaborative, Values-Oriented
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Provide support to the Vice President of Philanthropy (30%)
- Schedule appointments and conference calls as requested
- On a daily basis, monitor and prioritize correspondence, reports and other information referred for the VP’s attention or approval
- Plan and coordinate meetings and conferences involving the VP including preparation of agendas, taking meeting minutes, and handling follow-up when appropriate
- Assist the VP in the coordination of annual and other periodic reports, including expense reports.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and scheduling for the VP, including air travel, hotel reservations, car rental, required passports, visas, etc. as required.
Provide assistance to remote Philanthropy Officers (30%)
- Provide communication and office materials to officers as needed
- Serve as headquarters liaison between donors and officers regarding mail, especially donations, Thanksgiving cards and Holiday cards
- Remain available to remote officers as liaison to headquarters staff as needs may arise.
Serve as a liaison for the VP and Philanthropy Team to internal departments and external stakeholders (20%)
- Make and collaborate in administrative decisions for the management of Philanthropy Team including human resource activity, budget coordination, logistical needs, and important deadlines.
- Provide administrative support as needed to ensure compliance with Heifer policies and procedures and other accountability standards.
- Support VP in ensuring that existing and new organizational and leadership donor development strategies are communicated consistently and accurately across a broad group of stakeholders.
- Serve as a resource to other divisions within the organization by coordinating communications and requests between the office of the VP and other divisions as needed.
- May provide assistance during Board meetings and Cabinet meetings and respond to needs and assist individual Board members and Cabinet members as necessary.
Event Planning (15%)
- Assist Vice President of Philanthropy in planning and implementing twice annual Philanthropy Team Summits including travel for team members, schedule speakers, arrange catering, AV, presentation materials, and provide administrative support to Vice President of Philanthropy and team members throughout the summit
- Assist Vice President of Philanthropy and Philanthropy Directors in planning and implementing donor visits to Heifer Ranch and Heifer Headquarters including arranging donor travel and serving as liaison to Heifer Ranch staff and serving as support for donors and officers to ensure excellent donor experiences.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Systems, Business Administration, or related field of study plus three (3) years of related experience
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Strong scheduling and project management skills.
- Knowledge of computers as a tool for word processing, communications and organizing Must possess demonstrable skills using Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Strong English language skills – oral and written.
- Proficiency in basic statistics sufficient to analyze data.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people, especially in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, establish priorities and make sound judgments often in a fast-paced environment and the flexibility, needed to manage a heavy workload and rapidly changing contexts.
- Ability to prepare and proofread correspondence for correct punctuation and grammar, and produce documents in a well-designed, attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Occasional bending and lifting of up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms) floor to waist.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality at all times.