Job ID 411
The Accounting Manager reports to the Director of Finance and plays a significant role in strengthening of core global systems by ensuring proper accounting and reporting of resources in project implementation by maintaining systems of accountability, processing of accounting information, internal and external financial reporting, cash and bank account maintenance and other financial tasks as assigned in liaison with relevant Heifer departments. This person contributes to the global mission of scaling up of program impact by preparing project financial report and monitoring budget burn rates for effective implementation of projects. This person will also contribute to growth and diversification of revenue by assisting in budgeting for new projects during concept and proposal development. The Accounting Manager will supervise Project and Country Office Finance officers. This position works directly and in consultation with the headquarters and interacts with similar positions in other teams to promote consistency throughout the area program.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Integrity, accountability and courage; teamwork and relationship-building skills; communication skills; curiosity and eager for learning; openness to diversity and different points of view. Candidate must display initiative, flexibility, creativity, natural curiosity and a strong work ethic. She/he will be persuasive, service-orientated, and demonstrate an array of relevant technical skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
- Financial Management (45 %): Provide financial management and strengthening of core global systems to the Country Office to ensure compliance with Heifer International policies, donor requirements and relevant government authorities. Review and verification of invoices and payment vouchers to ensure completeness, correct coding and reasonableness including statutory payments.
- Perform analytical review of general ledger accounts and reconciling balance sheet accounts including project and staff advance reconciliations on monthly basis.
- Assist the Director of Finance to develop and maintain a proper accounting system, processes on daily basis.
- Maintain efficient filing and retrieval system for financial and account records to ensure completeness, accuracy and compliance on weekly basis.
- Complete bank reconciliations, advance reconciliations on time.
- Act as liaison with Regional Coordinators in preparing cash requirements for each project.
- Report Preparation and Presentation (20%): Ensure proper and accurate accounting and reporting of all grant and donor funds in accordance with the grant/donor requirements, including all project expenses that are allowable and charged correctly. Assist in preparation of the audit schedules, materials and other documentation for annual, internal or project audits, reviews and evaluations.
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and statements as per HQ/Donor requirement.
- Process Headquarters reimbursements on monthly basis.
- Collect and facilitate review of special reports for internal control when required.
- Ensure the maintenance of an accurate and up to date fixed asset register.
- Financial Control and Risk management. (20%): Efficient and effective management of all financial functions of the organization and development of risk management plans. Supervision and Monitoring (10%): Supervise the finance staff and provide guidance to their work and encourage their professional growth. Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, donations processing and receiving.
- Implement and monitor internal controls and financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met.
- Ensure that the organization makes all required government remittances and remits applicable taxes as and when required.
- Organize donor records, and ensure internal controls are maintained.
- Supervision and Monitoring (10%): Supervise the finance staff and provide guidance to their work and encourage their professional growth. Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchasing, donations processing and receiving.
- Assist in daily administrative and accounting support to staff through coaching and field monitory.
- Daily, monitor the cash position of the projects.
- Manage and oversee petty cash reconciliations performed by the various field offices every month.
- May perform other job-related duties as assigned. (5%)
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance or Accounting or related field, plus five (5) years of related experience and at least three years in a supervisory role. CPA Finalist or ACCA, NGO experience and significant experience with managing grants and donor financial reporting. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or part of these requirements.
- Experience in financial management in senior position level.
- Experience in large grant management and reporting through bilateral and multilateral donors, e.g.: United States Agency for International Development, European Union, Department for International Development (United Kingdom), Canadian International Development Agency.
MOST CRITICAL PROFICIENCIES
- Rich knowledge of accounting principles with strong understanding of GAAP and IFRS.
- Ability to research, interpret and ensure compliance with local accounting standards and reporting requirements.
- Experience in planning and generating ideas for improvement of the accounting function.
- Strong budget development, management and monitoring capacity.
- Proficient in English, both oral and written.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software, and knowledge of accounting software.
- Excellent organizational skills including strong attention to details.
- Excellent leadership qualities and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully, and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Motivated to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Ability and willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.