Project Manager – Learn4AgriBusiness
Job ID 140
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Learn4agribusiness is a three-year initiative that will focus on setting up agribusiness hubs to create employment opportunities for youths. The project will focus on combining Edukans’ expertise in market-oriented skills education methods with Heifer’s experience in Values-Based Holistic Community-based Development in agricultural production systems and inclusive markets. With this approach, we will directly enable 3,200 youth in Dokolo district, Northern Uganda to make a decent and sustainable living in agricultural value chains.
The Learn4AgriBusiness Project Manager, under the guidance of the Senior Programs Manager, will provide overall leadership to staff and other L4AB partners in the implementation of all components of L4AB in Uganda. S/he will provide leadership in the transformation and empowerment of youth in the market system through employment and/or value chain activities. This will include overseeing all project activities; producing related reports on project progress; supervising and appraising the performance of L4AB country office staff; monitoring project budgets, administrative, logistics, and material resources and coordinating L4AB learning events to ensure timely project implementation and delivery of outcomes. S/he will also be responsible for preparing and maintaining long-range annual plans and budgets, as well as developing the appropriate monitoring and evaluation framework to ensure that all outcomes are achieved.
Essential Character Traits:
Energetic, Positive, Collaborative, Values-Oriented, Enthusiastic
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Program Effectiveness (50%)
- Accountable for planning, managing, monitoring and evaluating the project within the country in an effective, efficient and timely manner.
- Implement an exit strategy that will provide sustainability of the impact created through L4AB.
- Ensure that social capital and values-based holistic community development (VBHCD) are mainstreamed in the project at all levels.
- Prepare an annual operational plan and budget in collaboration with the project team.
- In partnership with implementing partner organizations, design a monitoring and evaluation framework and ensure that key indicators are monitored.
- Organize annual stakeholder workshops and conferences to share experiences and lessons learned.
- Coordinate and take lead in the implementation of youth-focused training programs aimed at improving social, life and vocational skills in the identified value chains.
- Oversee the progress of all project objectives within the country and provide direction and guidance to ensure that planned targets are achieved.
- Accountable for ensuring that the project’s administrative, human resource and finance functions are timely, efficient and in compliance with Heifer’s global, area and country-level policies and procedures within the framework of local law.
- Inspire, mentor and manage staff to achieve project goals.
- Ensure that project staff work closely with other Heifer projects and L4AB regional office teams to ensure that contracts, other legal documents, and financial statements are processed appropriately.
- Submit timely reports to country program offices as needed.
- Carry out annual staff appraisals for staff under his/her supervision.
- Ensure that periodic project reviews are conducted, with learnings documented and shared.
- Supervise expenditure control within the budgets.
- Ensure compliance with contractual obligations and procedures of donors.
- Ensure proper maintenance and use of project assets.
- Accountable for networking and representing L4AB with the host country government, national and regional research organizations, private sector and international organizations.
- Represent L4AB in various stakeholder meetings, workshops, conferences and shared learning events.
- Monitor the work of Heifer’s local partners and ensure that they are compliant with the activities agreed upon in the teaming agreements.
- Develop and implement plans for multi-stakeholders engagement and learning.
- Work with local governments to identify and address social and economic barriers to increasing youth participation, especially young women, in the agricultural sector.
- Develop relationships with financial institutions and the private sector to facilitate access to finance and market linkages.
- Produce various technical reports in collaboration with implementing partners for sharing with stakeholders in the country.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus seven (7) years of relevant experience in development work in Uganda.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture, Economics, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or a related field.
- Knowledge of income and expense budget preparation and monitoring.
- Knowledge of youth workforce development issues especially in rural communities of the East Africa region.
- Good understanding of market systems and M4P approach.
- Good understanding of gender dynamics in development, particularly among young people.
- Good understanding of the different value chains within the agricultural sector.
- Strong leadership, teamwork, mentoring and coaching skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Heifer’s HQ, donors, partners, and local governments.
- Fluency in English (knowledge of other languages spoken in Uganda is a plus).
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively within the project area and where need is other parts of the world to benchmark.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and the Internet.
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with culturally diverse groups of people.
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically, regionally and internationally as required.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.