Program Manager - Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
Job ID 206
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
This position will manage the development and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Systems (MELS) for the country program and projects within the country program. A strong emphasis is on data collection, integrity, data analysis, reporting and dissemination to key stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
The ideal candidate is detailed oriented, self-driven and has strong leadership skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Implement monitoring, evaluation, learning and systems for country-specific projects. (30%)
- Collect/manage data to support needs assessment, project design, project logical framework design and target setting, and progress management.
- Conduct/manage project baseline, regular monitoring to track project progresses, and evaluations as per Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) plan.
- Ensure the effective implementation of MELS policies, procedures and guidelines for country-specific projects.
- Ensure proper use of available digital tools and technology for effectively managing MELS activities.
- Ensure/provide proper support to implementing partners in preparing their MELS plans, and in using digital tools for data collection and management.
- Support Heifer wide research for learning when needed.
- Elevate any MELS related challenges to Country Director for coordination with HQ based staff (Desk Officer and MELS Staff) to find timely solutions.
- Provide direct support to all program verticals and field teams on MEL work plans, monitoring/data collection plans, development of indicators, IPTT’s, log frames, theories of change and report design.
- Design monitoring and evaluation plan incorporating core standard indicators defined by HQ, and set targets for indicators.
- Create indicator reference sheet for all indicators.
- Develop the project's Results Framework & logical framework for all the projects.
- Design data collection tools, plans and processes for all required information, ensuring high quality and integrity of data.
- Review and adjust M&E plans and targets, tools and processes periodically as needed.
- Ensure alignment of country’s/projects’ M&E plans and procedures with the organization’s standards and requirements
- Support development of a MELS budget and staffing plan per each funded project.
- Act as a strategic point of contact for data and country program reporting work. Be responsible for the dissemination of valid and quality data to the required stakeholders.
- Manage all data properly, present in clean form, analyze to use for project management, learning, and to meet all the reporting needs.
- Summarize/ aggregate data at the country level, and contribute to organization-wide aggregation
- Ensure timely data availability and reporting to stakeholders.
- Respond to periodic donor and headquarters requests for additional information on project activities and results
- CP level learning to action agenda developed, monitored, refined and addressed.
- Document lessons learned, successes, failures, and best practices via case studies.
- Understands the importance of data and places utmost importance to the integrity of it
- Supervise and manage to support MELS staff for efficient work and maintaining compliance
- Provide proper coaching/training to equip MELS staff to deliver the assigned responsibilities efficiently
- Contribute to the recruitment, training and supervision of external parties that are contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for evaluating project effects and impacts.
- Orient and build implementing partners’ capacity in MELS activities including proper record keeping and data management.
- Help partner staff to keep consistency in their numerical reporting.
- Coordinate with Area MELS and HQ MELS team to keep them updated on MELS activities, and to understand stakeholder needs.
- Support research and evaluation initiatives in-country.
- Support the development of concept notes, project proposals, and submission to potential donors.
- Support writing the quarterly, six-monthly and annual reports.
- Compile and review the monthly numerical report and send to management with feedback.
- Assist in networking with other development organizations, governments and other line agencies in promoting Heifer’s development model/initiatives, and potential collaborations.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested.
Master’s degree in International Development, Project Planning and Management, Economics and/or Statistics, or an equivalent with an academic focus on monitoring and evaluation or other related fields.
Minimum of five (5) years of direct relevant experience in MELS.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and working with international donors and grantees on Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PME)/Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) systems.
- Proficient in the discipline of project monitoring and evaluation, project quality, quantitative and qualitative data capture and representation methodologies.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in the region.
- Experience in managing databases and coordinating evaluations, surveys and impact monitoring.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions-oriented.
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, agriculture and the environment, and knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Knowledge of market systems interventions and linkages to poverty alleviation.
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong attention to detail.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
- Strong knowledge and skills in data management and analysis using statistical software (eg. STATA, SPSS, SAS, Eviews, R, etc.).
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, both oral and written.
- Experience with information and communications technologies (ICT)
- Ability to work in a team.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Values-Based Holistic Community Development model.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate MEL concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels.
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in various locations.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to travel.