Chief of Party – USAID
Job ID 131
Contingent on Successful Bid
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Heifer International is seeking a Chief of Party for a USAID-funded development project in Zimbabwe. The Chief of Party (COP) will provide overall leadership and technical direction for this project. Duties will include the execution of program strategy, overseeing the design and delivery of capacity building activities for smallholder farmers and other actors in the value chain, and effectively engaging multiple stakeholders (public, private, non-profit) to deliver high-quality, sustainable project results. The COP will also be responsible for the management of the project and will serve as key liaison with the USAID, the Government of Zimbabwe and implementing partners. S/he will ensure proper reporting, financial oversight and compliance of the project in accordance with USAID rules and regulations.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Excellent management and leadership skills, Energetic, Positive, Collaborative, Values-Oriented
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Lead a team of international and national staff, both technical and administrative, in the management of a five-year project.
Effective contract/agreement implementation in strict compliance with contract/agreement clauses, Heifer, and donor policies
Heifer’s reputation is safeguarded by ensuring financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity.
Provide overall technical leadership and administrative oversight to achieve the results of the project.
- Successful results at project end (annually)
- Quality of services is maintained at the highest standard
- All staff provide positive feedback with effective performance-management program including regular check-ins, annual appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support.
- Sound and timely financial reporting to HPI and donor
- Project spending is in-line with budget
- Development of project results framework, performance monitoring plan, technical strategy, M&E plan and annual work plans as per contract/agreement requirements, Heifer technical frameworks and standards.
- Appropriate, compliant and timely documentation and dissemination of key results and deliverables for maximum project impact and business development internally and with donor
Ensure a robust monitoring and evaluation system is in place, and analyze project impact and challenges to manage the project to meet or exceed results;
- Key indicators recorded and reported on a timely basis in line with Heifer and donor requirements
Liaise and manage relationships with USAID, host country officials, Heifer headquarters and country office in order to ensure smooth project implementation; Represent Heifer International and the project with other implementing organizations, funding agencies, and others as needed
- Strong on-going relationships during and after project end date.
- Provision of effective and timely responses to inquiries and concerns
- Heifer’s reputation safeguarded due to successful relationship building. Harmonious collaboration with and cost-effective use of the Country Operations Management Unit
- Master’s degree in a relevant technical area. Additional years of experience may substitute foradvanced degree.
- At least eight (10) years, fifteen (15) years desireable, of progressively responsible experience in the area of agribusiness, trade or private sector development.
- Experience with tieht Food for Peace or Food for Progress programs.
- Experience in Southern Africa required. Experience in Zimbabwean context highly desireable.
- Experience leading a Title II program or similar monetization program. Good familiarity with principles and practices of monetization.
- Strong understanding of linkages between agriculture and nutrition.
- Robust knowledge of market systems in developing countries.
- Familiarity and high level of comfort operating in high inflation economic enviornments and contexts.
- Demonstrated experience in public private partnerships, agricultural policy reform and the facilitation of the policy reform process in the Sub-Saharan African context, public-private dialogue, and institutional coalition building in rural economies.
- Experience managing teams of professionals, and experience with the administrative, procurement, hiring, recruitment, financial and logistical aspects of activity/project implementation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners, and ability to lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Previous experience as a Chief of Party or major Project Director.
- Must reside in-country for duration of the project.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills;
- Understanding of the agriculture sector in Zimbabwe and/or the region;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English;
- High level of maturity, good judgment, flexibility and integrity of character;
- Demonstrated ability to implement systems and procedures and the ability to effectively communicate these to program/technical staff in order to ensure their compliance;
- Cultural sensitivity, and an ability to engage in difficult conversations with beneficiaries, high level officials, and other stakeholders;
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills, including demonstrated leadership and team-building with staff and partners at all levels;
- Develop an understanding of and become a strong proponent of Heifer’s s Values-Based Holistic Community Development (VBHCD) throughout her/his tenure as COP.
- Proven teamwork and cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.