Communications Manager Africa
Job ID 297
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Communications Manager Africa will help to support the implementation of strategy by working closely with Africa executive management and the Heifer International Global Communications team. This position will support the development of corporate content in line with Heifer’s communication and brand DNA. The Communications Manager Africa will develop a stakeholder matrix and update as needed, identify critical stakeholder expectations, liaise with partner organizations to enhance Heifer’s interest, and sustain relationships with Heifer’s key advocates and leverage influence and connections for the benefit of Heifer. This position will assist Heifer’s spokesperson(s) with the preparation of content, event co-ordination and matters related to external engagements. This position will develop relationships with media agencies, publications, editorial staff, and influential columnist. The position will also support the implementation of protocols for official interaction for media inquiries, press conferences and media visits.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Customer focus, drives results, nimble learning, decision quality, instills trust, collaborates, self-development, optimize work processes, action-oriented, communicates effectively, cultivates innovation and values differences.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Support the implementation of Heifer’s PR/Brand Strategy for Africa (40%)
- Support adoption of all aspects of approved PR/Brand content.
- Ensure that corporate narrative is deeply entrenched in all internal and external communication and visual expression.
- Support Heifer Africa brand positioning through cross-functional and cross-team coordination and cooperation.
- Serve as a champion for internal PR/corporate narrative.
- Support the integration of Heifer Brand on shared media platforms with close coordination with the Global Communications Team.
- Work with retained PR consultants.
- Provide feedback and observations towards refining or re-thinking strategies.
B. Heifer Positioning (20%)
- Working with Global communication team to support awareness for Heifer and achieve high visibility and positive media
- Position Heifer for thought leadership through visible collaboration and participation across
- Identify suitable programs, events and initiatives for media leveraging and
- Assist with developing the business case for Heifer and ensure visibility with key business media, government and the local donor
- Ghosts write opinion pieces positioning Heifer Africa experts as thought
C. Content Development (20%)
- Provide high quality, consistent program and thematic
- Assist with development of speeches/presentations/brochures/ infomercials/ short clip videos.
- Assist with responses to media enquiries.
- Manages all executive external and internal communication.
- Ensures that content, look and feel positions Africa as aspirational
- Collaborate with Global Communications Team on production of high-quality audiovisual context.
D. Coordinates interaction with critical stakeholders (15%)
- Support the development critical stakeholder matrix crisis management document and risk register to support Africa Communication Strategy
- Develop a quarterly schedule of interactions between identified critical stakeholders and executive
- Assist executive management to prioritize and manage engagement with critical stakeholders in media, donor community, partnerships, government, and
- Minimize friction with critical
- Scans the environment from time to
- time and identifies future or perceived challenges for
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree plus a minimum of five (3) years’ experience in a reputable PR/Brand consulting firm, PR, or Corporate Communications at a large corporate organization preferably multi-national. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Master’s degree in social sciences, humanities, or related degree, plus three (3) years’ experience in a reputable PR/Brand consulting firm, PR, or Corporate Communications at a large corporate organization preferably multi-national. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Knowledge of public relations work applied across all forms of
- Strong writing, editing and presentation
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills of building networks, partners and collaborations for media and
- Negotiation skills including ability to listen and
- Work with a global mindset preferably with demonstrated experience in working at local, and global levels.
- Demonstrated experience of working with diverse cultural groups, and gender equity
- Experience in taking complex ideas and capturing in accessible ways and multiple formats – briefing papers, positioning pieces, publications, press releases, and social media
- Experienced in identifying and managing sensitive media issues and crisis
- Ability to collaborate and build positive working relationships with multiple internal and external
- Experience with the design and implementation of results-oriented communication
- Demonstrated experience managing and/or facilitating events, small convenings, and forums of experts
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to inspire and support the team and give expression to Heifer’s mission through word, media, and public relations activities.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the
- Ability to confidently give oral presentations and impromptu speeches to a wide range of audiences.
- May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods of time, as well as occasional bending and
- Ability to effectively plan, prepare, and present material and speeches for publication that conform to prescribed style and
- Outstanding English writing skills and oral communication skills are
- Willingness and ability to travel as
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain