Job ID 337
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of disability.
The Driver for the Partnership for Resilient and Inclusive Small Livestock Markets (PRISM) Project, under the supervision of the Administration Officer, is responsible for ensuring the smooth operations & field logistics for project activities by providing reliable and courteous service to Heifer International Country Office & Project staff, and stakeholders; deliver people and equipment on instructions. The driver, in conjunction with administrative staff, will be responsible for ensuring that all required permits and insurance are kept current by alerting the appropriate staff members in time for renewals; adhere to HIR policies and procedures when using project vehicles
PRISM is an ambitious five-year Signature project with the overall objective of reducing poverty by empowering poor rural men, women, and youth to participate in the transformation of the Rwanda livestock sector and to enhance their resilience. The program development objective is to improve food and nutritional security and the incomes of poor rural households through the better performance of the value chains.
Essential Character Traits:
Respectful, accountable, good communicator, teachable, flexible, helpful, creative and team oriented.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLESA. Manage and maintain allocated project vehicle (35%)
- Daily, track and record vehicle mileage and fuel consumption.
- Prepare and submit vehicle-monitoring report, including records of vehicle operations,fuel and mileage at the end of each month.
- Record official and personal trips as needed.
- Comply with Heifer Policies and procedures regarding vehicle use.
- Ensure that motor vehicles have valid insurance well displayed always.
- Conduct inspections of vehicles before departing for duties.
- Ensure the vehicle is kept clean and tidy.
- Ensure the vehicle is closed and secured after working hours.
- Ensure that all the necessary tools and documents are kept in vehicles. These include; valid driving license, First Aid kit, insurances, reserve tires, control technique papers, taxes, jack, jack handle, wheel spanner, and fire extinguishers.
- Ensure vehicle insurance and registration is updated according to schedule.
- Ensure the vehicle is serviced at the right mileage reading as provided in the manual.
- Report any major repairs required on office vehicles.
C. Be ultimately responsible for the safety of the vehicles and passengers (20%)
- Observe the road and Country traffic laws and regulations.
- Ensure punctuality and safe transportation of staff, visitors and partners, within the Country, per the Standard Operating Procedures
- Support the logistics of events on field by counter verifying and returning the required administrative materials, attendance/participation lists;
- Actively assist the smooth running of field meetings, seminar, conference and training;
- Pick and deliver office shipments/parcels/correspondences
- Support in other clerical duties as shall be directed by the supervisor.
- Genuine Motor Vehicle Driving Permit delivered in Rwanda.
- Criminal Record Certificate.
- Vocational mechanic training plus five (10) years’ relevant experience in a structured organization setting.
- Possession of a valid Rwandan Vehicle driver’s license.
- Secondary education with an O level certificate plus five (5) years’ relevant experience in a structured organization setting; NGO experience is an added value.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of vehicle mechanics.
- Strong communication skills both in English and Kinyarwanda.
- Good knowledge of roads and routes.
- Strong adherence to the motor vehicle usage policy, as well as local and national traffic laws, always.
- Basic to intermediate computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel)
- Knowledge of simple clerical work.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Extremely clean, organized and ready to maintain the assigned vehicle in excellent mechanical condition.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to individuals diplomatically and tactfully.
- Must be courteous, honest and of high integrity, especially in high-pressure situations.
- Self-starter and self-motivator with the ability to work in a multicultural setting.
- Must be a team player and have the ability to execute and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow directions and independently complete assigned tasks (written or verbal).
- Ability to work a varied schedule to include early mornings, weekends and some evenings.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds (23 kilograms) floor to waist as required.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.