Senior Program Officer – Enterprise Development & Access to Finance
Job ID 410
The role of the Senior Program Officer- Enterprise Development & Access to Finance will be to lead Heifer’s project activities on connecting FPOs and self-help groups with market intermediaries and supporting the development of micro and small enterprises (MSMEs). S/he will coordinate with the Access to Finance lead in the development and execution of the overall strategic vision, goal and objectives of the access to finance component.
Senior Program Officer- Enterprise Development & Access to Finance will explore and collaborate with different public and private sectors organizations to strengthen the forward and backward linkages in both product markets and input/service market. Senior Program Officer- Enterprise Development & Access to Finance will assist on developing and managing prototypes towards upgrading the value chains and develop scale-up strategies for the wider benefit of Heifer project beneficiaries and the sub-sector growth.
Essential Character Traits:
Empathetic, Emotionally Intelligent, Honest, Positive Attitude, Compassionate, Patient, Highly motivated and inspirational leader, superb listener and communicator, relationship builder, energetic and positive, team builder, strives for shared vision, impact-driven and innovative, organized, having strong business acumen, pro-active, respect for procedures and norms, curious, analytical, socially sensitive, values-oriented, committed to holistic sustainable development.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Business Development and Branding (25 %)
- Market Research: Carry out market research on demand and supply, value chain analysis, business venture feasibility study, stakeholders mapping, and so on for identification of viable enterprise establishment or strengthen the existing enterprises.
- Business development and support: Support to develop bankable business plans (both at start-up and growth stages) and connect with relevant financial and non-financial service providers (medium and large-scale business ventures).
- Branding & Positioning: Identify branding options Heifer farmers’ products for market promotion (legal requirement, protocols to be complied, current practices etc.).
Build capacity of the Project staff, partners, and Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO) (20%)
- Assist to align the organizational development and business development and build capacity of the stakeholders.
- Assist to prepare capacity building plan of project staff, partners in the field on market system development, enterprise and value chain development.
- Orient FPO staff, follow-up the job-related functions to achieve the target
Monitoring, review and reporting of the program 20%
- Ensure that the partner meet the Heifer’s monitoring and evaluation requirements and the deadlines
- Reviewing the project progress (physical and financial) with partner staff on monthly basis
- Participating in ongoing partner activities on regular basis for quality control and improvement
- Ensure that the Activity based reforecasting is prepared following the participatory method and the other stakeholders (PMC, co-funder, etc)
- Documentation and sharing of the best practices
- Promote the and Ensure the PSRP process at each level in project
- Work in collaboration and consultation with Regional Program Office (RPO) and Country Program Office (CPO) team
Develop business relationships with retailers, processors, and other market actors (forward market linkages) 25%
- Facilitate multi-stakeholder consultation meetings, workshops, and business-to-business (B2B) meetings to advance better market linkages.
- Organize B2B Meetings with potential Value Chain (VC) actors for stronger market linkages.
- Explore public, private and producer organizations for joint initiatives to establish viable and sustainable business ventures in forward linkages of goat meat value chain Identify potential Value Chain (VC) actors/stakeholders (forward market linkages) and facilitate new ventures.
- Functional relation established with market actors to overcome bottlenecks in the market system
- Goat market investment plan developed and implemented on public, private, producer partnerships
Leadership & General Operations (10%)
- Manage the enterprise, market and value chain related activities and functions
- Develop market development and private/public sector engagement strategy for the project.
- Ensure systematic documentation of successes and lessons learnt for internal programmatic use and external sharing. Develop project implementation plans for market development component with clear timeline and deliverables.
- Timely delivery of milestones relating to Market Development component.
- Produce periodic reports and knowledge documents.
A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related field and minimum of Seven (7) years of experience with an international organization in a similar context is required. Experience in working with FPOs (farmer producer organizations) and its business is highly recommended.
A Master’s Degree or equivalent from a recognized university in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related field and minimum of five (5) years of field and technical experience with commercial sector, agribusiness development in a mix of economic growth/trade, value chain competitiveness, investment promotion, or agriculture development.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Clear understanding of the goat, BYP, vegetable, Agri-product value chains.
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions oriented.
- Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation.
- Strong interpersonal/people management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills a must.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Hindi, English and other local languages, both oral and written. Fluency in Odia preferred.
- Significant experience in building public/private partnerships
- Experience working with farmer group programs.
- Experience in the commercial sector with skills to develop and evaluate investment opportunities and promote such opportunities to financial institutions.
- Strong consumer marketing, financial analysis and management skills.
- Excellent command of Report writing, analysis and presentation skills using Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in the country.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry.
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Value Based Holistic Community Development.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout India.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.