Project Coordinator-W4DB Project (1 Position)
Job ID 722
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Under the guidance of the Project Manager- PWI, the Project coordinator- Water for Dairy Business (W4DB) will be responsible for the development of design plans, working drawings, technical specifications, bill of quantities as per project document and standards by the Ministry of Water & Environment; supervision of implementation and contract administration of water supply development including water supply installation and borehole drilling, Water supply construction, and Water spring Protection works, sanitation facilities and waste disposal systems; Mainstreaming of sector management approaches in all water related interventions. S/he will provide technical guidance and support to Producer Organization (PO) boards, staff and farmers on water for domestic use and dairy production.
The project coordinator will be accountable for all project activities; needs assessments, water related studies, partner/stakeholder coordination and engagement, development of water business models, capacity building of Producer Organization management teams, producing related reports on project progress; supervising and appraising the performance of water facilities at Producer Organization level; timely project implementation and delivery of the intended outcomes.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Energetic, positive, team player, result orientated, quality orientated, collaborative, leadership, pragmatic, and inspirational.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Program Effectiveness (70%)
- Accountable for planning, managing, monitoring, and evaluating the projects in an effective, efficient, and timely manner.
- Provide technical advisory support to private sector operators of pump and gravity fed piped water systems and user committees of community managed water schemes.
- Ensure that the 2 Producer Organization (POs) set up an efficient and scalable water delivery business model for members and communities.Work with water contractors to design and install appropriate water systems.
- Explore, develop and document opportunities to scale up and replication water for domestic and production models within Heifer programs.
- Ensure that the 2 pilot Producer Organization (POs) (Dwaniro and Kiboga Livestock) have efficient and functional water supply systems.
- Build capacity of PO staff through mentoring, coaching and facilitating training sessions to enhance their business and technical expertise in management of water facilities.
- Partnerships strengthened with key stakeholders including financing partners in the water sector.
- Strategically leverage the private sector, government and producer organizations periodically to create avenues for scalability.
- Design and implement water schemes and supervise contractors overseeing construction and rehabilitation of water schemes and sanitation facilities in compliance with set standards ensuring quality control.
- Review designs ensuring that they are appropriate to each given context; aspects such as cost, environmental standards, sustainability should be considered.
- Working closely with the Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) Manager; create, execute and monitor action plans & water access data and business performance at the POs with a view of the enterprises to use the data for improving management and scalability of the proven water business models.
- Submit timely reports to the project Manager.
- Ensure periodic project reviews are conducted, with learnings documented and shared.
- Supervise expenditure control within the budgets routinely.
- Ensure that contractual obligation are in compliance with donors point of engagement.
- Manage risks and issues; correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for the W4DB project.
- Review and coordinate the compilation of weekly, monthly, quarterly reports and ensure that a robust data base is maintained at Project level.
- Keep database of all water supply and sanitation projects implemented under the county program. This to include geo-coordinates of water points, water quality, quantity and depths of boreholes and shallow wells etc.
- Any other job-related task assigned by the line manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in water and Sanitation Engineering, Civil Engineering, water Resource Engineering or Environmental Engineering with five (5) years’ experience coordinating and implementing rural water projects.
- Computer literacy particularly in AutoCAD, MS Word, Excel, Power point, and SPSS.
- Ability to lead and work as part of a team, flexible, adaptable and patient
- Ability to plan own work, work under pressure when faced with competing demands.
- Ability to communicate both written and spoken English, be innovative.
- Ability to work away from workstation and travelling in remote and /or rural environments.
- Demonstrable analytical and conceptual skills to plan projects, timetable agreed activities and oversee activities.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Good understanding of water sector, systems and technologies in Uganda
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Proven project management, contract management, motivational and supervisory skills with ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest developments in advancing good/best practices in water for development within vulnerable communities.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions and design catalytic activities within the water component chains (e.g., technology-based payment systems).
- Demonstrated experience in setting up functional water management systems and commercial water models for communities.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in facilitating technical project feasibility studies, designs, including the computation of the associated key financial ratios and benchmarks.
- Computer literacy, including facility with Word, Excel, and other relevant Microsoft Office Suite applications, as well as any other databases.
- Proficient in communicating in English and local languages, oral and written.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with ability to relate to individuals and groups diplomatically and tactfully.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations particularly women and children.
- Working in a multi-cultural setting and commitment to promoting teamwork, gender equality, and sensitivity to hunger and poverty issues.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure in response to changing needs and ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, occasionally on short notice.
- Sound judgment, professionalism, and a positive attitude with the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and in sometimes difficult circumstances.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.