Job ID 373
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Data Analyst will work in the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team, situated in Business Development, Design, and Effectiveness (BDDE) unit within the Mission Effectiveness division. This team manages a large portfolio of data products, including Heifer’s Global Indicators database and project databases. The BDDE team manages data quality procedures for analytical data collection. The team is responsible for Heifer’s global reporting, supporting country and project offices in their data collection efforts, and Heifer’s general data collection system, review, and sharing workflow. In addition, the BDDE team supports data analyses, project learning, and the organizational-wide application of project findings.
One half of this position focuses on data collection, particularly around financial and Blended Finance Plus (BF+) data. Heifer’s extensive on-the-ground network allows us to expand on the traditional definition of Blended Finance to include a wider perspective of local leverage. Heifer’s BF+ portfolio includes local leverage of capital and resources originating from the local grassroots, including community-based organizations (CBOs), project participants, government agencies, private companies, and international organizations with the purpose of achieving the project goals. Heifer’s BF+ funds are capital and resources used to achieve project goals but not captured in Heifer’s financial books. The Analyst will develop data collection tools and engage with program teams to assist with developing, documenting, implementing, and quality assuring data collection processes. The Analyst will spearhead organizational-wide data collection plans and reporting on all public and private co-investments, including community-driven investments and formal investments through Heifer’s Impact Capital program. To read more about Heifer’s Impact Capital program see this link.
The second half of the position focuses on organization learning and is responsible for MEL-related information management and storage. The Analyst will work with Heifer’s Knowledge Manager to gather project outputs into a sharable location. As Heifer standardizes knowledge management processes, the Analyst will work with Heifer stakeholders to ensure understanding of the system and compliance with its requirements.
Essential Character Traits
- The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, collaborates across various teams, communicates clearly and frequently, and is persistent in delivering reports on time and to a high degree of quality. Additional traits include:
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong collaboration and partnership skills with people across organizational levels
- User- and customer-focused
- Analytical approach to work with strong problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- High energy and enthusiasm with a can-do attitude
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLESA. Ensure Blended Finance data collection processes remain up to date and functioning smoothly for all field teams reporting on project progress. (35%)
- Document data collection processes for all countries that will be reporting on Blended Finance
- Train staff in how to use templates to collect data most effectively for reporting purposes
- Assist with quality assurance and visualization of Blended Finance data
- Develop resources and standards to create data collection instruments at the global and project level
- Create templates for planning on data collection at the project and global levels
- Create templates that are appropriate, contextualized and user-friendly for data collection and reporting
- Create data collection reports from Survey CTO that can be easily transferred to an Enterprise System
- Create data collection reports that are clearly represented, and quality assured for Board Results Reporting requirements
- Coordinate with internal Heifer stakeholders on annual Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 17 reporting; lead consolidation of three SDG17 data streams into consolidated public/private contribution figures
- Work with project teams to help them provide inputs to the knowledge management platform.
- Work with Knowledge Manager to help teams across the organization to navigate and understand available information
- Partner with Knowledge Manager to develop sustainable approaches to content generation and information used to promote a culture of continuous knowledge sharing
- Partner with project teams on their project learning plans
- Help with promotion of and compliance with Heifer’s organizational learning approach
- Train teams, and periodically reinforce training, on learning approach
- Work with Knowledge Manager to identify information and content that connects to and adds depth to current work and messaging
- Identify and promote conference and publication opportunities for staff and research partners to support Heifer’s profile
- Create content that internally highlights Heifer’s work
- Experience working in the International Development and/or Agriculture sector.
- Experience working with Blended Finance and/or impact investing.
- Bachelor’s degree plus three (3) years of directly relevant experience.
- Experience working with knowledge management frameworks, experience with USAID projects preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to promote organizational learning agendas.
- Master’s degree preferred in International Development, Community Development, Rural Development, Project Planning and Management, Economics and/or Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation or other related field plus two (2) years of directly relevant experience in data collection in the Blended Finance and/or impact investing field.
- Field experience of collecting data for projects in rural locations for agricultural value chain projects.
- Knowledge management expertise.
- Demonstrated experience working with IT and backend web design/building support teams.
- Ability to work in Spanish and/or French. Working knowledge of Spanish is strongly preferred.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Familiar with data collection solutions and building instruments using those solutions.
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions-oriented.
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with finance, poverty, hunger, agriculture, and the environment, and knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong attention to detail.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred), and the Internet.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, both oral and written.
- Strong collaboration skills, especially across different teams, levels, and geographic areas of an organization
- Experience leading training and presenting to groups
- Commitment to Heifer International’s values and work to end hunger and poverty
- Eagerness to jump into a fast-paced work environment with multi-cultural teams across different time zones
- Demonstrated ability to produce results
- Commitment to building stakeholder buy-in
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to become the main resource for financial data collection solutions at Heifer.
- Ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in various locations, to establish the selected data collection solution as the standard.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- May require working in front of a computer for extended periods