Job ID 677
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, status
as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with some form of speciallyabled.
The Agricultural Specialist will be responsible for the effective delivery of animal production, horticulture,
aquaculture management and production technologies, knowledge and skills to project participants, project
partners and communities/agricultural cooperatives. S/he will ensure that farmers adopt improved
technologies for consistency and bulk supply of quality animals, horticulture, and aquaculture. The Specialist
will work closely with Heifer Cambodia staff, partners, cooperatives, and farmers. In addition, s/he will
provide support to enhance the efficiency of livestock health, safe vegetable and fish production and
productivity, and contribute to the scaling-up of learnings for the wider benefit of farmers.
RESPONSIBILIIES AND DELIVERABLES: (including approximate percentage effort)
Capacity Building in Animal Agriculture (60%):
• Identify and establish model field demonstrations for poultry, horticulture, and aquaculture for
farmers to learn, practice and replicate.
• Mobilize successful producers and community agro-vet entrepreneurs (CAVEs) to transfer technical
skills on animal production, horticulture, and aquaculture to new farmers.
• Ensure that on-going technical follow-up assistance and coaching are adequately provided to
farmers and tailored to their needs.
• Ensure that nutritious forages and balanced feeding techniques are adopted by farmers.
• Ensure that farmers follow appropriate poultry, vegetable and fish production techniques to
increase production and productivity.
• Ensure that vaccinations to animals against major diseases are carried out at regular intervals.
• Ensure that farmers adapt good agriculture practice (GAP).
• Conduct follow-up and provide appropriate technical solutions to farmers, and timely document and
report on issues and resolutions.
• Facilitate exposure visits and exchange learning between farmers and entrepreneurs.
• Conduct training need assessment (TNA) with farmers and other stakeholders.
• Develop training materials on various aspects of animal production, horticulture, and aquaculture.
• Prepare briefs, guidelines, and manuals related to the fields of animal production, horticulture, and
• Track performance and progress of CAVEs on animal production, horticulture, and aquaculture.
• Organize and facilitate trainings and workshops for CAVEs and partners on improving animal
production, horticulture, and aquaculture production.
• Provide technical backstopping and mobilize CAVEs through regular coaching and technical guidance
as appropriate to ensure good performance of delivering the technical skills.
• Compile/document and share best practices on poultry, horticulture and aquaculture farms to
communities, partners and relevant stakeholders.
Collaborate and provide backstopping support (35%):
• Work with the Department of Animal Health and Production (DAHP) and Provincial Department of
Agriculture both at provincial and national levels to identify, select and establish CAVEs.
• Work with DAHP and Provincial Department of Agriculture to provide master trainer of animal
production, horticulture and aquaculture to CAVEs.
• Develop and implement the project workplan and ensure the project activities and budget expenses
are on track.
• Provide regular field monitoring and coaching to the project team.
• Support farmers to scale up business models including development and in-depth analysis of
farmers’ agribusiness plans.
• Prepare project monthly, quarterly, semester, and annual reports including project impact stories as
per the donor guidelines.
• Participate in project design, developing annual operational plans and budget plans.
• Collaborate with different partners, government departments and relevant stakeholders for the
smooth implementation of the project.
• Document successes and lessons learned for internal programmatic use and external sharing.
• Support project staff to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of field project implementation and
May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Bachelor's Degree in Agriculture science, agronomy or Animal Science, plus at least three years of
experience in fields related to agriculture value chain and agro-enterprise development (specifically
livestock and vegetable/and or fish enterprises).
• Knowledge and experience in agriculture value chain and agro-enterprise development
• Experience in agriculture extension in agriculture and livestock is a plus
• Knowledge of project management
• Knowledge of and experience with or within community organizations
• Demonstrated proficiency in Khmer, both spoken and written; proficiency in English is a plus
• Good communication and facilitation skills
• Good understanding of and sensitivity for poverty, social and ethnic issue