Job ID 159
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Project Officer will be responsible for the effective delivery of animal health and production technologies, knowledge and skills to project participants, project partners and agricultural cooperatives. S/he will ensure that farmers adopt improved technologies for consistence and bulk supply of quality animals. S/he will work in close collaboration and coordination with the Heifer Ethiopia Program team especially Project Manager-AWB, project partners, agricultural cooperatives and Community Agro Vet Entrepreneurs (CAVEs). In addition, s/he will implement prototypes related to enhancing efficiency of livestock (poultry and small ruminants) health, production and productivity; and contribute in the scale-up of learnings for the wider benefit of farmers.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Highly motivated and inspirational leader, superb listener and communicator, relationship builder, energetic and positive, team builder, strives for shared vision, impact-driven and innovative, organized, having strong business acumen, pro-active, respect for procedures and norms, curious, analytical, socially sensitive, values-oriented, conviction towards holistic sustainable development.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Animal health and management strengthening (30%)
- Develop plans and support project partners and agricultural cooperatives in implementing activities for well-balanced livestock diets
- Ensure cooperatives and project beneficiaries follow appropriate breeding strategies and plans to improve genetic quality for better productivity
- Assist the field project team and project partners to ensure livestock purchased for distribution to project recipients are healthy and productive
- Ensure that vaccinations to needy animals against major diseases are carried out at the right time and stage- meeting quality standards of the biological needs and processes adopted
- Keep prior intelligence/information and appropriately handle/investigate/respond to disease epidemics, outbreaks, unusual mortality and other similar situations such as natural calamities
- Technical assistance provided through formal/informal trainings, coaching, exposure, and other possible ways
- Year-round adequate availability of nutritious grass, balanced feeding techniques practiced by farmers
- Adequate availability of superior quality animals and their multiplication
- Documentation and periodic reports on quality of animals purchased; mortality decreased
- Established a consistent system of bulk supply of quality animals
- Strengthen CAVEs/technicians' capacity to ensure accessibility and availability of quality veterinary services and input supplies (vet medicines, vaccines, etc.) through in-house and collaboration with govt. departments
- Work with the field team in networking and coordination with appropriate government institutions and the private sector for veterinary services and inputs
- Work with Project Manager-Animal Well-Being and project team to develop the business hubs of the cooperatives/producers with backward and forward linkages into the total value chain
- Work with the Senior Project Manager- Business/Enterprise and Cooperatives Development to organize enterprise development related Training of Trainers for project partners, cooperatives and project farmers
- Guide, coach and facilitate CAVEs/ technicians for effective and sustainable supply of inputs and services to farmers through respective agricultural cooperatives.
- Established coordination and networking between government veterinary systems and agricultural coops.
- Be a team motivator for the Heifer Ethiopia team.
AWB Implementation Support and Leadership (20%)
- Lead the animal well-being related activities and functions at the cluster level.
- Develop strategy at the cluster level to establish quality, quantity and consistent supply system of farm animal productivity.
- Oversee at the sub-project and agricultural cooperative level animal health and husbandry services to ensure improved animal management practices are being adopted by farmers.
- Take a lead in implementation of related prototypic and action research, document the outputs and scale-up the best/good practices.
- Develop animal health and production strengthening plan with clear timeline and deliverables.
- Timely delivery of milestones relating to AWB component.
- Produce periodic reports as and when required.
- Develop staff capacity building plan in the field of animal well-being
- Organize and facilitate trainings and workshops for CAVEs/technicians and project partners on improved animal health and husbandry.
- Provide technical backstopping and mobilize CAVEs and technicians through regular coaching, and technical guidance as appropriate to ensure improved livestock management practices are adopted by project participants
- Assist the field team to oversee Famers' Field Schools, support in documentation and explore possibilities to streamline in other projects
- Develop and deliver training materials/modules on various aspects or functions of animal well-being
- Prepare manuals, briefs, guidelines, technical papers and other knowledge documents related to the field of animal well-being
- Track performance and progress of CAVEs and technicians periodically
- Seek continued growth in the knowledge of Heifer International projects and issues of hunger and poverty
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from a recognized university in Animal Sciences, Veterinary Science and minimum three (2) years of experience with an international organization in a similar context is required.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with livestock projects.
- Knowledge of and experience with or within community organizations.
- Competency in both speaking and writing skills on local language/Oromia and English.
- Excellent leadership qualities and communication Skills.
- Have an interest in animals, agriculture, and community development.
- Good understanding of and sensitivity for poverty, social and ethnic issues.
- Excellent organizational skills including strong attention to detail.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail software (Microsoft preferred) and other appropriate technology.
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision - major tasks in field where independent expert decisions must be made.
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people.
- Ability and willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both locally and internationally.
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork and cooperation.
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures and beliefs, and to gender equity.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.