Corporate Compliance Officer
Hamilton Health Care System, Inc.
Job Description and Performance Standards
Title: Corporate Compliance Officer
Department: Legal & Risk Management (33955)
Reports To: VP, Chief Legal Officer
Shift: Monday-Friday / 8:00am-5:00pm
The Corporate Compliance Officer provides direction and oversight for System-wide Corporate Compliance Program, functioning as an independent and objective body, contributing to the fulfillment of the organization’s mission and vision by planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining System-wide compliance programs, policies and procedures. This position is responsible for administering the Corporate Compliance Program within a complex, integrated health system on a day-to-day basis, managing and analyzing compliance data, overseeing and conducting compliance educational programs, working with departments through reviews, audits, analyses, and investigation of actual or potential compliance risks and support of compliance initiatives. Also responsible for the oversight, development and implementation of policies and procedures, compliance and ethics training, privacy training, the Code of Ethics, oversight of compliance reporting mechanisms, audit reports, and coordination of compliance audits and investigations designed to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and the HHCS Corporate Compliance and Ethics Plan. As a result of reviews, audits, data analysis generated, presents reports to various levels within the organization. This position also directs the investigation, follow-up, and analysis of corporate compliance concerns and audit findings. This position will work with Executive Leadership and departments across the System to facilitate process improvements that will support reduction of compliance risks, enhance regulatory compliance, and foster a culture of ethical and compliant behavior to provide the basis for ensuring adequate internal controls and compliance with regulatory requirements applicable to HHCS and Affiliates. This is a Director-level position that also directs and supervises the Compliance Manager/Privacy Officer in the administration of the Program, with accountability for the privacy program and privacy policies and procedures for HHCS and Affiliates. The Privacy Officer is the designated System official to be responsible for the development and implementation of the policies and procedures required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This will include responsibility to receive complaints concerning the substance of policies and procedures adopted by the System to comply with the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or related field and either a CPA, JD, MBA, MHA strongly preferred. Certification in Healthcare Compliance required within one year of hire.
Licensure: CHC or CHPC required within one year of hire.
Experience: Minimum of 10+ years experience required. Five+ years compliance health care experience, or related field, and demonstrated strength in auditing, investigations, ability to work discreetly on sensitive, confidential, proprietary and/or attorney client privileged matters. Experience working on process improvement and ability to manage multiple, conflicting priorities. Demonstrates knowledge of professional liability and investigation techniques. Experience in collecting, managing, and analyzing healthcare related data utilizing statistical and quality tools. Excellent computer literacy. Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, database, and graphics programs. Excellent written and interpersonal skills. Proven ability to research various areas and gather relevant information and positively impact project delivery with solution recommendations and implementation.
- Due to the complex nature of compliance and regulatory work, this individual must have a demonstrated ability to work discretely on sensitive, confidential, proprietary and/or attorney/client privileged matters.
- Demonstrates the ability to be self-directed, and detail oriented, with excellent organizational, analytic, and critical thinking skills.
- Skilled in the art of human relations, problem solving, conflict resolution, conflict management and negotiation.
- Capable of facilitating the learning of others and able to express oneself effectively before groups.
- Demonstrates good role model qualities and ethical management behaviors; ability to effectively interpret, implement and support approved System policies, philosophy and objectives.
- Possesses excellent data analytical skills.
- Is self-directed in maintaining and improving own competence in clinical and critical thinking skills in the area of Corporate Compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of current regulatory agency guidelines.
- Capable of effecting positive change across all departments. Intervenes as necessary with all healthcare professionals to assure compliant behavior.
Equipment Skills: Familiar with the use of pagers, telephones, copiers, computers, FAX.