Ambulatory Clinical Informatics Specialist
Hamilton Health Care System, Inc.
Job Description and Performance Standards
Title: Ambulatory Clinical Informatics Specialist
Department: Systems and Applications
Reports To: Director, Systems and Applications
In collaboration with Clinical Informatics and IT management, this position is responsible for the coordination, planning, design, development, implementation, and support of clinical information systems in the organization’s ambulatory and outpatient settings. The position provides clinical and technical support to medical providers and their support staff on the use of information systems and applications that are used to provide patient care. The position assists with the design and development of clinical workflows, actively participates in change management processes, develops appropriate user training, and works collaboratively with functional subject matter experts to identify opportunities for work process improvement. The position assists with the proper documentation of patient care in information systems and clinical applications, and the continuous education and training of staff consistent within professional, regulatory, and legal standards of clinical practice. Supports medical and clinical staff in the advanced access of patient records and the effective use of the integrated Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software to assure patient safety, improve satisfaction and efficiency, and advance patient care. The position serves as the primary liaison between the ambulatory outpatient centers and Information Services and serves as a resource in the resolution of complex problems and issues.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Informatics, Nursing, Information Systems, or a related field is required.
Licensure: Current Georgia RN License is required.
Experience: 5 years of progressively, professional, related work experience as a Registered Nurse supporting an Electronic Medical
Record (EMR) and clinical applications. Experience with IT Project Development and Project Management, Clinical
User Training, and Development of Training Materials in a hospital system setting. Experience with Cerner Millennium and Athena Health EMRs is preferred.
- Knowledge of EMR software, interfaced clinical applications in a hospital system, and how they are used to document and provide patient care.
- Possesses both technical and functional understanding of the tenets of clinical informatics and Information Technology.
- Strong ability to work on and prioritize multiple, concurrent tasks and projects while meeting aggressive deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work and effectively communicate with medical staff, enterprise-wide management, peers, and outside vendors utilizing verbal, written, or electronic methods.
- Knowledge of training methods in a hospital system setting; train at-the-elbow, train-the–trainer. Ability to train and provide knowledge transfer.
- Ability to partner with vendors to translate clinician requirements into specifications for new clinical information systems.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in the absence of guidance and policies demonstrating excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products; Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with little supervision.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working under stressful conditions in typical office and patient care area situations. A flexible schedule is required.