Hamilton Health Care System, Inc.
Job Description and Performance Standards
Title: Vice President Provider Affiliates and Services
Reports To: Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer
Shift: 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday (hours may vary based on need)
Status: Full Time
The Vice President Provider Affiliates and Services (VP) is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of those business affiliates that provide professional services as a part of Hamilton Health Care System (HHCS). The VP directs all functions in the areas of responsibilities in accordance with the overall policies established by the Board of Trustees and in compliance with regulatory guidelines. The VP provides leadership and direction in ensuring the efficient, economical, and effective utilization of system resources to meet the identified needs of the community/service area through quality medical care and health service programs. Works closely with physicians, clinical leaders, and other disciplines to assist in the development and implementation of operating objectives and participates in organization wide planning for the future development of programs, services and facilities. Establishes and leads in the monitoring of key quality, financial and operational performance indicators in all areas of responsibility.
The VP will exercise management responsibility over designated areas of the health care system ensuring efficient services that are designed to meet the needs of patients, physicians, the public and associates. Responsible for all regulatory compliance including but not limited to Joint Commission (TJC), state and federal agencies; fiscal management, policy standardization and planning.
Areas of Responsibility include the clinical, professional and support functions of Hamilton Physician Group (multispecialty provider group with over 40 physician providers), Hamilton Ambulatory Surgery Center, Anna Shaw Children’s Institute, and other special project functions as assigned.
The VP will provide collaborative leadership in the ongoing development, implementation and management of assigned areas of responsibility and be responsible for fulfilling the following duties.
- Attends Board meetings, provides input, and receives feedback on financial, operational and provider related issues in areas of responsibility.
- Maintains an effective working relationship directly with the Executive Vice President/COO and matrix reporting to the Chief Financial Officer by keeping them informed of key quality, safety, operational and provider issues. Seeks guidance and approval on strategic initiatives.
- Develop and foster effective collaboration between clinical departments, affiliate provider leadership and other services (inside and outside of the hospital) to ensure an integrated approach to providing high quality, patient focused, cost-effective services.
- In collaboration with the management team and provider leadership, develop strategies to reduce costs, enhance revenues, achieve effective utilization and improve organizational quality and patient experience.
- Supervises and participates in the development and negotiation of physician agreements (i.e., employment, professional services, co-management, etc.), as well as ensure appropriate controls and monitoring activities are in place to monitor compliance.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the strategic plan of HHCS to support the primary and secondary service areas.
- Support the Mission, Vision, Purpose, Priorities and Values of HHCS in all interactions both internally and externally.
- Provide support for the patient experience strategies to hardwire excellence throughout HHCS.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies governing healthcare delivery and the rules of accrediting bodies by continually monitoring the operations, programs and facilities of HHCS.
- Maintains professional and community affiliations to enhance professional growth and community involvement.
Education: Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Health Administration or a related field.
Licensure: Member, American College of Healthcare Executives required, Fellow preferred. Any applicable licensure for field of clinical expertise.
Experience: Minimum of eight years of senior leadership experience in a multispecialty practice with a minimum of 30 physician providers. Experience in hospital/healthcare system based provider affiliate preferred.
Skills: Candidate will possess strong interpersonal, communication, decision-making, and analytic skills. This position demands the ability to integrate information and make decisions. The ability to present to a diverse group of constituencies. Previous experience leading professional and service departments, physician relations, change management and performance improvement. Strong relationships with senior leadership is a must. Knowledge of and commitment to the Purpose, Priorities and Values of Hamilton Health Care System. Knowledge of health care operations, patient care, and strategic planning. Leadership skills, communication skills, analytical/financial skills, knowledge of program management, technology and equipment, skills in business planning and basic marketing.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Works in a typical office setting. Requires sitting for long periods of time with heavy to moderate amount of work performed in front of a computer monitor and with moderate to light amount of walking, stooping and bending. A moderate amount of flexible work schedule is required. The incumbent is subject to administrative call, lengthy workdays, weekend and irregular hours. Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks and work under stress with frequent disruptions.
Using the following rating scale, enter the rating that most accurately describes the associate’s performance for each responsibility or behavior standard in the appropriate column.
Exceeds Standard: Performance far exceeds the expected standard on a consistent basis; praiseworthy, exceptional
Meets Standard: Acceptable, accomplished, qualified performance: meets expected standard
Needs Improvement Standard: Performance is marginal and does not meet expected standard