Cardiovascular Information Systems Informatics Specialist
Hamilton Health Care System, Inc.
Job Description and Performance Standards
Title: Cardiovascular Information Systems (CVIS) Informatics Specialist
Department: Systems and Applications
Reports To: Director, Systems and Applications
Shift: 8-5 Monday to Friday
Status: Full Time
In collaboration with Clinical Informatics and IT management, this position is responsible for the coordination, planning, design, development, implementation, and support of the Cardiovascular Information Systems (CVIS) and related clinical applications. The position provides clinical and technical support to medical providers and their support staff on the use of information systems and applications that are used to provide patient care in the Cardiovascular Surgery and Cardiac CathLab departments. The CVIS Informatics Specialist/Lead/Coordinator assists with the design and development of clinical workflows, actively participates in change management processes, develops appropriate user training, and works collaboratively with functional subject matter experts to identify opportunities for work process improvement. The position assists with the proper documentation of patient care in information systems and clinical applications, and the continuous education and training of staff consistent within professional, regulatory, and legal standards of clinical practice. Supports medical and clinical staff in the advanced access of patient records in medical imaging systems and the effective use of the integrated Electronic Medical Record (EMR) software to assure patient safety, improve satisfaction and efficiency, and advance patient care. The position serves as the primary liaison between the Cardiovascular Surgery and Cardiac CathLab departments and Information Services. The position also serves as a resource in the resolution of complex problems and issues.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Informatics, Nursing, Information Systems, or a related field is required.
Licensure: Current Georgia RN License is required.
Experience: 5 years of progressively, professional, related work experience as a Registered Nurse supporting Cardiovascular
information Systems or as a Clinical Informatics supporting an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and clinical
applications. Experience with IT Project Development and Project Management, Clinical User Training, and
Development of Training Materials in a hospital setting. Experience with GE MacLab and Cerner Millennium EMR is
- Knowledge of Cardiovascular Information Systems, EMR software, interfaced clinical applications in a hospital setting, and how they are used to document and provide patient care.
- Possesses both technical and functional understanding of the tenets of clinical informatics and Information Technology.
- Strong ability to work on and prioritize multiple, concurrent tasks and projects while meeting aggressive deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work and effectively communicate with medical staff, enterprise-wide management, peers, and outside vendors utilizing verbal, written, or electronic methods.
- Knowledge of training methods in a hospital setting; train at-the-elbow, train-the–trainer. Ability to train and provide knowledge transfer.
- Ability to partner with vendors to translate clinician requirements into specifications for new clinical information systems.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in the absence of guidance and policies demonstrating excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products; Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with little supervision.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working under stressful conditions in typical office and patient care area situations. A flexible schedule is required.