The Contracts Assistant will report to the Contracts Manager and will be responsible for providing administrative and drafting assistance to the Manager and to a Senior Contracts Associate with respect to a variety of contracts and license agreements covering the licensing of foreign, British and other “subsidiary rights” by Hachette Book Group (HBG) to third parties (including intercompany arrangements between the HBG and its UK affiliate (HUK)). The Work will touch on matters relating to several groups/divisions of Hachette Book Group but will be especially focused on licenses issued by HBG’s Grand Central Publishing (GCP) and Black Dog & Leventhal (BD&L) imprints. The work will also include drafting and processing duties relating to HBG’s acquisition of US publishing rights from HUK. In addition to the Essential Duties and Responsibilities below, the day-to-day administrative tasks may include: updating and maintaining databases, maintaining and managing workflow and status reports, scheduling meetings, preparing / routing payment information and registering works for copyright. After training, the Contracts Assistant will also be required to handle contract amendment, cancellation and reversions requests as appropriate. This job offers a good introduction to the business and legal side of publishing and to the subsidiary rights area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Draft, review and negotiate subsidiary licenses for specific HBG divisions/imprints (but especially for GCP and BD&L imprints) under the supervision of Senior Contracts Associate;
- Monitor and maintain the Subsidiary Rights shared in-box for correspondence on subsidiary rights deals in progress and traffic correspondence to other subsidiary rights drafters within the department;
- Monitor the shared TM (HBG’s data system) inboxes, update and track author agreements and amendments workflow and maintain status reports for incoming intercompany deals in TM for titles HBG acquires from HUK and titles HUK acquires from HBG;
- Independently draft and handle intercompany term sheets for certain imprints – to be designated by the Contracts Manager;
- Monitor incoming British Commonwealth subsidiary rights deal memos in TM; initially forward all such deal memos to Contracts Manager for review, but after training review to be handled by assistant;
- Prepare intercompany amendments/cancellation/termination paperwork and send same to applicable HUK entities;
- Assist Contracts Manager with revisions on agreements, amendments and intercompany paperwork as necessary and prepare applicable payments requests as necessary;
- Correct and complete Intercompany TM data/screens for which Contracts Dept is responsible so that contracts data is accurate in TM;
- Traffic paperwork for electronic signatures, scan documents into applicable systems and handle in-house routing of documents as required;
- Perform other duties as reasonably assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-starter, able to take ownership of job responsibilities and manage work time efficiently
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.