Senior Production Editor
The Hachette Book Group is seeking a Senior Production Editor to manage 30 to 35 original fiction and nonfiction titles per year from manuscript to bound book/ebook, and their paperback editions across a wide variety of genres.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage 30 to 35 titles per year from manuscript to bound book/ebook, including general
- Prepare and code manuscripts for design and typesetting
- Hire and supervise freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers
- Review all stages of manuscripts and proofs and complete ebook review
- Copyedit and proofread jacket and cover materials from original copy through final proof
- Work closely with various in-house departments including editorial, production, and art to ensure all deadlines are met; work with authors often
- Attend relevant department and interdepartmental meetings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- At least five years or more years relevant work experience, preferably in trade publishing; experience with cookbooks and other heavily illustrated books a plus
- Solid copyediting and proofreading skills
- Strong computer/MS Word skills including using Track Changes
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style (16th and 17th eds.)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Candidate must be detail- and accuracy-oriented and have the ability to balance many projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining high standards of quality
- and managing time effectively.
- Ability to identify, attract, and retain capable editorial freelancers a plus.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.