Senior Contracts Associate
The Senior Contracts Associate will be responsible for drafting and negotiating a wide variety of author agreements (and associated documents) for Hachette’s young readers and gift product imprints (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (LBYR), Running Press (RP) and the WorthyKids (WK)). The individual will report into and work closely with the Contracts Director for this publishing area, but will be expected to exercise a very high level of autonomy in terms of drafting and negotiating and to participate in decision-making around process questions and boilerplate terms, The individual work alongside ac associate, and a contracts coordinator, and will have admin support from an assistant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Drafting and negotiating author and illustrator agreements and amendments for LBYR, RP and WK
- Drafting and reviewing work-for-hire and other contributor agreements for LBYR, RP and WK including advising and responding to editor queries about such agreements
- Drafting (as applicable), reviewing and negotiating third party licenses to UK publishers
- Drafting (as applicable), and reviewing intercompany term sheets with Hachette UK affiliated companies
- Reviewing, advising on and approving deal memos/offer terms
- Reviewing responses to publishing rights reversion requests for LBYR, RP and WK.
- Assigning, reviewing and checking the work of the contracts assistant.
- Fielding queries from editors, agents and other colleagues
- Participate in presentations/training sessions for editorial and other publishing groups around contractual terms
- Other duties as may reasonably be assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Degree : Bachelor’s degree, minimum.
- At least 2/3 years of drafting experience and high level of knowledge of young reader and gift product standard publishing contract terms
- Direct experience negotiating with agents
- Expertise in word, power point, excel and other standard computer programs (experience with a title management system is a plus)
- Self-starter with excellent time-management skills
- Good communicator and team player
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.