Hachette Book Group is seeking a Production Editor in our Perseus Books division to manage the production of 20 to 25 original titles per year from manuscript to bound book and e-book. This position is in our Boulder, Colorado, office.
- Manages 20-25 titles per year from manuscript to bound book and e-book in wide-ranging nonfiction categories, including history, politics, international studies, science, business, memoir, women’s studies, and current affairs
- Creates production schedules
- Prepares manuscript for electronic editing, including text styling
- Hires and supervises freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers
- Prepares manuscript for typesetting
- Reviews all stages of text proofs and approves final text for press
- Performs e-book quality review
- Works closely with various in-house departments including editorial, production, and art in anticipating and resolving problems; works closely with authors
- Manages reprint corrections and paperback editions
- Attends relevant department and interdepartmental meetings
- 3+ years’ experience in editorial project management on books, preferably in trade publishing
- Solid copyediting and proofreading skills with strong knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style
- Strong computer/MS Word skills and familiarity with databases and Adobe Acrobat and Kindle Previewer
- Knowledge of electronic copyediting and styling and PDF markup
- Excellent organizational skills, with an aptitude for following processes and problem solving
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Candidate must be detail- and accuracy-oriented and have the ability to balance many projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining high standards of quality
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation of $48,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.