Associate Marketing Manager, Avalon Travel
Avalon Travel, the publishers of Rick Steves and Moon Travel Guides, is hiring a Marketing Associate Manager who recognizes the importance of brand marketing and the value of book publishing.
Our ideal candidate is a creative problem solver and strategic thinker who can plan, execute, and analyze brand and title marketing campaigns large and small. We are seeking a strong writer with excellent organizational skills to join our small, collaborative team. We are headquartered in Berkeley, CA but are open to a remote employee available to work mostly during Pacific Time (-8 UTC). With team members working remotely across time zones, good communication habits are key.
THE PERSON IN THIS POSITION WILL:
- Conceptualize, execute, and analyze results-driven marketing campaigns within set budgets; a typical campaign incorporates a mix of digital advertising, social media, influencer marketing, and content marketing
- Manage strategy and coordinate content for 2 consumer-facing platforms and marketing programs which may include some of Moon’s social media channels, moon.com, roadtripusa.com, or our influencer program
- Report on results and learnings from campaigns and managed platforms
- Participate in marketing meetings and brainstorming sessions around campaign ideas, branding, and strategy
- Create sales materials and optimize metadata for assigned titles in collaboration with team members, including writing descriptive copy, fact sheets, one-pagers, ads, and other collateral in line with our brand style guides
- Communicate professionally with authors, coworkers, and internal and external marketing partners
REQUIRED SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE TO SUCCEED IN THIS ROLE:
- 3+ years of experience working in consumer-facing marketing, advertising, or publicity, though book marketing experience is not required. Familiarity with digital advertising is ideal and Amazon advertising is a plus.
- Interest in non-fiction/reference book publishing is essential but having a degree or being well-traveled is not!
- Strong writing skills and excellent communication habits
- An aptitude for experimentation, comfort assessing data and willingness to adjust or reassess based on results.
- Social media fluency and etiquette
HELPFUL BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of Canva, Wordpress, Mailchimp, Google Analytics
- Experience working with influencers or digital creators
- Interest in representing Moon on camera in video content and possibly at virtual or in-person conferences and events
- Prior publishing experience
We strongly encourage people from underrepresented or unconventional backgrounds, and/or those historically excluded from publishing to apply. If you are self-taught or not certain that you’re 100% qualified, please consider applying regardless. We whole-heartedly believe skills are transferable and software can be taught! As a trans- and enby-inclusive team, we also encourage candidates to use their chosen name and pronouns if comfortable doing so.
How to Apply
To be considered, please submit both a resume AND a cover letter. We ask for a cover letter so that we can understand how your skills or experience can apply to our space in travel reference publishing. Unconventional experience including personal projects/content creation, zine administration, or bragging about your extremely well-curated Pinterest boards, etc. are all very welcome.
Want to read up on us before you apply? Visit our imprint website at moon.com or find us @moonguides on Instagram. You can learn more about Avalon at avalontravelbooks.com and the Hachette Book Group at hachettebookgroup.com.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The salary for this role is $58,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.