Editorial Assistant, Workman
Workman, a division of Workman Publishing within Hachette Book Group, seeks an editorial assistant to work with two senior editors who are part of the Adult imprint.
Workman is a publisher of nonfiction adult and children’s books. Our books are quirky, definitive, unexpected, useful, funny, handsome, well crafted, and commercial. Our books are written by authors who are knowledgeable and passionate about their subjects and published with the intent to improve lives. We also publish a robust line of calendars, which we acquire, edit, and sell with the same intention and focus on quality that we bring to our books.
We are looking for the role to commute to the NY office with a hybrid office/work-from-home schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist two senior editors with their various projects, including books, calendars, and other products
- Review proposals and submissions from literary agents and discuss with editorial team
- Review, edit, and format manuscripts for various projects, including books, calendars, and other products
- Prepare fact sheets, including conducting competitive title research and pulling sales numbers
- Enter title data into proprietary databases system and track and update data throughout publishing process
- Perform administrative duties, including keeping track of schedules, contracts, and payments; reviewing catalog copy; creating mailing labels; directing/responding to inquiries, ordering office supplies; maintaining book archives; misc. research projects, etc.
- Brainstorm ideas for new books and research potential illustrators and authors to execute those ideas
- Participate in weekly editorial meetings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
The successful candidate will:
- Be passionate about books and publishing
- Have an interest in adult nonfiction, lifestyle, gift, humor, pop history/science, and self-help
- Be a dedicated reader of magazines, blogs, social media, etc., with an engagement with culture and trends
- Be able to manage multiple responsibilities in a deadline-driven environment
- Be able to prioritize effectively
- Be passionate about the creative process and sharing ideas
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Be able to work effectively with colleagues at every level of seniority
- Be self-directed and able to work independently
- Demonstrate imagination, creativity, and original thinking
- Be comfortable using email, calendar management, and file management tools
- Be familiar with Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe, Teams, or other like tools
In order to be considered, please submit both a résumé AND a cover letter, including the title of the book(s) you’re reading right now.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your roll or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.