Manager, Night Operations
SUMMARY: To manage Distribution Center 2nd Shift operations. Primary areas currently are bulk warehouse and picking replenishment operations. Ensure that all areas are working efficiently per Company and department procedures. Maintain a safe and clean environment for all 2nd shift employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Schedule and maintain daily coverage of the building;
- Train and orient all new second shift employees;
- Maintain equipment used on second shift including walkie riders, turret trucks, order pickers, counter balances, and carton erectors;
- Monitor and analyze employee productivity, performance tracking, and document any system and/or personnel problems;
- Maintain daily progress reports for upper management documenting all problems;
- Meet daily with the DC Warehouse Manager to together prepare a plan of tasks to be completed nightly and develop a strategy to accomplish these tasks;
- Meet daily with the Dir. of Ops. to review work schedules for each area and to review the strategy to accomplish these tasks and to set priorities in the event all tasks cannot be completed;
- Special projects as assigned.
- Second shift Bulk Storage employees
- Responsible for tracking vacation time
- Responsible for weekly approval and adjusting of time sheets
- Responsible for overseeing performance and personnel issues
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through
- Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail
- Operates ethically: admits mistakes, treats others with respect, trust, and dignity, demonstrates honest and ethical behavior, and follows through on commitments and agreements
- Must be able to provide guidance and feedback to direct reports, peers and associates; empowers team by delegating decision making when appropriate and creates practices, processes and procedures that result in greater efficiency
- PC skills required and familiarity with WMS desired;
- Familiarity with radio frequency technology a plus;
- Ability to operate and train employees on walkie riders, turret trucks, order pickers, counter balances, RF equipment, and carton erector;
- Ability to make on the spot decisions when faced with system, equipment of staffing problems;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Equivalent to at least a 2 year college or university degree and minimum 3 years relevant experience.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.