Marketing Associate, Nicholas Brealey, Boston, MA
Boston-based publisher is seeking a Marketing Associate to join our team in support of four non-fiction imprints geared to professionals and adult learners: Nicholas Brealey, Teach Yourself, Michel Thomas and Sheldon Press. This is a great opportunity for an energetic marketer to contribute to a growing program by driving online discoverability, community engagement, and sales of books covering a range of topics in business, language learning, general interest, science, health and wellness.
Key to success will be driving a strategy that represents astute use of resources, builds sales, and yields a positive return on investment. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years’ experience in marketing, especially, social media, digital and print asset creation, SEO and content marketing. Candidates with book publishing experience, are strongly preferred, however, product marketing experience will also be considered.
The role is based in Hachette Book Group’s Boston office and would require a close working relationship with the Hachette teams in New York and London.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as marketing point of contact for editors, authors, production, and sales teams.
- Provide service to authors to maximize their reach, including creating email, print, and online materials to help drive sales
- Design and create marketing materials, including print and digital collateral for authors and imprints
- Produce seasonal catalogs, sell sheets, and advance reading copies (ARCs)
- Drive online strategies for NB website, social media, and other consumer-facing activities
- Update NB website quarterly with new titles, author events, etc.
- Liaise with New York and London teams and ensure regular communication between the groups
- Provide market analysis and recommendations
- Present new titles at key sales conferences throughout the year to ensure proper sell-in from sales representatives
- Plan marketing campaigns for titles across Nicholas Brealey, Teach Yourself, and Sheldon Press imprints
- Create and deliver digital marketing campaigns for key titles; measure ROI on campaigns; drive pre-orders and on publication book sales through digital marketing
- Manage CMS for digital marketing campaigns
- Budget, manage, and track marketing spend for year
- Plan and attend trade shows and conferences as applicable to showcase publisher’s key titles
- Build brand recognition for publisher in US
- Maintain/update mailing lists and critical systems
- Work with freelance and author-hired publicists to coordinate campaigns and ensure lines of communication remain open between all parties
- Prepare and distribute press releases, media kits, review mailings, follow up on all leads for key titles
- Maintain/update press contact database and client files
- Assist with planning, production and execution of local, national events and campaigns
- Provide tracking and reporting on campaigns, outreach, and execution
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Book publishing experience preferred
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in Adobe Create Suite (especially Photoshop and InDesign)
- Knowledge of Social Media applications for digital marketing campaigns (especially Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook)
- Digital Marketing Strategies and SEO development
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail
- Demonstrated commercial awareness
- Working knowledge of Wordpress, Squarespace, HTML a plus