Sales Representative, Northern California and Pacific Northwest Territory
The Sales Representative will sell Hachette Book Group (HBG) & Client publisher titles (both adult and children’s) to buyers in independent bookstores in the Northern California and Pacific Northwest Territory. The Sales Representative will maintain existing - and develop new - relationships with key business partners in those accounts. The candidate will work with the accounts to develop marketing & promotional programs. The Sales Representative will communicate account & sales information related to specific imprints to company partners.
This position will report into the Field Group Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sell frontlist, backlist, promotions and more to (primarily) independent bookstores, small jobbers, and some specialty accounts.
- Manage relationships with established accounts and develop new accounts.
- Generate regular feedback on titles, promotions, and sales.
- Maintain current and accurate client profiles, including sales history, using databases
- Respond to inquiries from both publisher and account contacts.
- Maintain co-op programs and ensure management of the Marketing Plan.
- Advance the profile of HBG and select clients’ lists through store promotions, galley distribution, and enthusiastic selling.
- Keep accounts informed about changes to the list, special offers and publicity, assist accounts with promotions and coop advertising, and other efforts to provide excellent service to booksellers.
- Responsible for achieving individual and company budget goals and increasing territory net sales.
- Responsible for sales estimates on specific titles, sales analysis, and sales reporting.
- Will attend meetings live and via web-ex, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3+ years of trade publishing and/or sales experience preferred, but candidate with experience in similar industries will be considered.
- Effective communication skills (oral & written), good judgment, and excellent interpersonal skills in all aspects of business with a passion for talking about books.
- Knowledge of Edelweiss and Above The Tree Line preferred
- Comfortable with regular car/air travel (license must be in good standing)
- Must have strong organizational skills, be able to work well in a fast-paced environment, and be able to work independently.
- Strong proficiency in general Computer skills, with an emphasis on Microsoft Word & Excel. Experience with databases.
- Ability to work and communicate with clients and successfully manage client relationships.
- Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and have the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
How to apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume AND cover letter.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $65,000 - $75,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.