Summer 2020 Editorial Intern
Hachette Book Group offers paid summer internships to students and recent graduates interested in a career in book publishing. Our summer internship program, which runs from June 1st – August 7th and allows interns to work 28 hours per week, offers students an opportunity to learn about the publishing industry and explore an area of interest. Interns are placed within specific publishing groups on either the adult or children’s side of the business based on interest, experience, and academic coursework.As an HBG editorial intern, you will have the opportunity to work closely with seasoned professionals and gain hands-on professional experience as you own day-to-day tasks, help with special projects, and attend departmental meetings.
We have editorial internship opportunities at:
- Grand Central Publishing
- Basic Books-to be shared with marketing/publicity
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
- Orbit-to be shared across departments
- Little, Brown
- Little, Brown - Mulholland
- Hachette Books
To enhance your work experience, we offer educational sessions featuring speakers from all departments of the company as well as networking and career development opportunities.
Who you are:
- A rising junior or senior, graduate student, or recent graduate interested in exploring a career in book publishing
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic and excited about discussing recent books you’ve read
- Possess a great attitude and a desire to learn as well as excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and contribute insights
- Resourceful with the ability to balance multiple responsibilities and work independently
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
What you will learn:
- Log, review, and draft feedback on manuscript submissions
- Research industry and entertainment trends with goal of creating resource databases and documents for the editorial team
- Assist with mailings and events as requested
- Draft feedback to be used in editorial letters
- General administrative duties
How to apply:
In order to be considered, all candidates must submit both a resume AND cover letter.
Cover letters should specify which publishing groups you are interested in exploring. To learn more about our groups, check out our website: https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/imprints/.