Associate Editor, Orbit
The Associate Editor will manage a number of titles a season through all editorial and production stages. The Associate Editor will also acquire new authors for the Orbit imprint.
The Associate Editor will support two senior editors and their lists.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Read and evaluate submissions.
- Edit manuscripts.
- Clerical work required (phones, mailings, office management).
- Develop relationships with and communicate with authors and agents.
- Write cover and catalog copy.
- Prepare title fact sheets and P&Ls.
- Request contracts.
- Transmit manuscripts.
- Follow up with key departments including Marketing, Publicity, Legal, Managing Editorial, Design, Production, and Sales.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3-5 years experience in book publishing or closely related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Genuine enthusiasm for science fiction and fantasy.
- Must have established contacts in the industry.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and Excel required.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (verbal and written).
- Must be results driven and have an ability to manage projects independently, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals.
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.