Marketing & Publicity Associate, Legacy Lit
Are you the go-to person in your friend group for book recommendations? Are you as known for your creativity as you are for your organization skills? Legacy Lit, an imprint of Grand Central Publishing (a division of Hachette Book Group) is seeking a Publicity & Marketing Associate to work closely with the marketing and publicity department on a diverse mix of titles (narrative nonfiction, current events/history, empowerment, and select fiction) with a strong emphasis on maintenance of Legacy Lit’s social media platforms and engaging with our ever-growing book community. We are a small but mighty team and the right candidate will be interested in gaining experience in both publicity and marketing, as the position will include leading select book campaigns, creating and collaborating on newsletters and website content, and keeping on top of all the latest trends in social media and beyond. Reports to the Director of Marketing and Publicity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, manage and assist with titled marketing and publicity campaigns and strategy, for approximately 12-15 titles per year, including drafting campaign summaries and recaps, writing press releases, pitch and galley letters, marketing and publicity flashes, booking media and author tours
- Coordinate category specific promotions, giveaways, sweepstakes and events
- Strategize media lists, create press materials (full press kits, press releases, pitch & galley letters, author Q&A’s, etc.), and pitching media
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with members of the press (broadcast, radio, print, online, trades, etc.), helping to build media opportunities with both general commercial-driven media and African American media, and executing creative ways to best promote and publicize titles to diverse audiences and beyond
- Develop social media campaigns and monitor sales and other metrics associated with marketing promotions and assist authors as needed, with their social media strategy
- Perform administrative tasks for the Marketing and Publicity Director such as scheduling meetings, coordinating calendar, preparing meeting materials and taking notes, as well as any meeting follow up tasks
- Manage title specific requests from HBG sales, editorial, managing editorial, art and creative services departments
- Perform consumer research to maximize outreach to targeted audiences for titles as well as the Legacy Lit brand
- Develop and maintain the Legacy Lit Instagrammer and influencer databases and manage the Legacy Lit consumer newsletter, website, and podcast
- Participate in the coordination of regional trade shows, festival attendance, award submissions, Legacy Lit hosted events and more
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in marketing or publicity; book marketing/publicity experience preferred
- Fluent in social media and digital trends to support campaigns to reach new audiences
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work on deadline in fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Edelweiss, Bookscan, MS Office, Excel, Outlook and Photoshop a plus!
- Experience in building big mainstream and grassroots campaigns
- Contacts at national and regional media (digital and print), African American and multicultural organizations and media, a plus
- Familiarity with Cision, Net Galley, Muck Rack and Edelweiss (not a must)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.