Designer, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is seeking to hire for the position of Designer. The Designer will primarily be responsible for the design of Middle Grade, Chapter Book, and Young Adult titles for the Young Reader’s list. This person will oversee each project through the design process, including conception, execution, approval, and transmitting files to Production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with Executive Art Director and Editorial in the design and production of jackets, covers, and interiors (which includes creating sample pages, preparing files to go to the compositor, and/or typesetting files in-house as needed.
- Work closely with illustrators, photographers, and freelancers in the creation of cover and interior artwork, from sketches to final art.
- Oversee out-of-house freelance designers as necessary
- Work with Executive Art Director to determine appropriate budgets and scopes of work for each title.
- Work closely with the Executive Art Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket meetings, as well as Sales and Marketing meetings.
- Ensure all covers and related sales assets are uploaded into proprietary database (The Vault) and archive documents appropriately.
- Assist in managing a master schedule of books to make sure key production, marketing and sales milestone dates are met, as well as the creation of sales materials.
- Create select advertising and promotional materials as needed for custom publishing or retail promotions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Art Director or Department Head
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in book publishing design required — experience in children’s books preferred.
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
- Proficiency InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required; working knowledge of PDF workflow a plus.
- Ability to execute a broad range of designs that are appropriate for various age groups and formats (Young Adult, Middle Grade, Chapter Book, Graphic Novels, and Non-Fiction), as well as literary and commercial markets.
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience
- Ability to manage in-house and out-of-house artists and freelancers
- Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition
- Solid print production experience required. (Experience with digital production preferred)