Hachette Book Group is seeking a General Counsel to serve as part of the executive management team and to advise the company on a range of commercial transactions, complex agreements, digital distribution and platform relationships, intellectual property, content development, privacy, technology, business affairs, corporate governance and other general matters. The position will serve as a trusted business partner, providing strategic, creative and problem-solving advice at all levels of the company, and partnering in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business. The position will lead a small legal team based in New York and supporting multiple offices in the US and Canada in all aspects of company business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Subject matter expertise in copyright, trademark, consumer protection, privacy and libel.
- Responsible for corporate governance and compliance for US subsidiary of French parent company.
- Represent the company in industry trade association, policy, regulatory and governmental activities.
- Manage pre-litigation disputes (protecting rights and responding to claim letters) and manage outside counsel on litigation defense and avoidance.
- Responsible for author contracts lifecycle management, policies and processes, including supervision of negotiation and drafting of content acquisition agreements.
- Counsel on basic employment law matters.
- Manage legal department, including paralegal-level contracts department.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and admitted to the New York Bar.
- At least 12+ years of relevant legal experience, with a combination of foundational law firm training, in-house legal experience and management responsibility.
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues, help determine business terms and structure transactions.
- Works collaboratively to provide advice that supports business objectives while minimizing risks.
- Ability to spot problems and make risk assessments, offering problem-solving decisions, creative suggestions and actionable advice.
- Enjoys fast-paced environment, hands-on worker, skilled at multi-tasking and prioritization.
- Excellent writing, communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of media law, IP and business law and trends.
- Experience handling compliance, privacy and M&A matters.