Business Intelligence Developer
Hachette Book Group is a leading trade publisher in the U.S., and a division of Hachette Livre, the third-largest trade and educational publisher in the world. Headquartered in New York, HBG also has major offices in Boston, MA, Lebanon, IN, and Nashville, TN. HBG publishes under the divisions of Little, Brown and Company, Little Brown Books for Young Readers, Grand Central Publishing, Orbit, Hachette Books, Hachette Nashville, Perseus Books and Hachette Audio. HBG also provides a wide range of custom distribution, fulfillment, digital and sales services to third-party publishers.
The MicroStrategy Developer will be responsible for building MicroStrategy applications that provide operational reporting, data visualizations and dashboards, and ad-hoc reporting to the HBG business communities and client publishers. The BI Developer will work closely with ETL and Operations Teams as well as QA and Business Analysts to deliver solutions that provide efficient access to information and insights to our users. Reporting to the Director, Business Intelligence and Digital Analytics, this role is a member of the Business Intelligence Team.
- Develop MicroStrategy reports, dashboards, KPIs, and scorecards.
- Design and develop MicroStrategy metadata objects such as Facts, Attributes, Metrics, Hierarchies, Filters, Prompts, Tables, Reports, Documents, and Relationships which optimally leverage the MicroStrategy SQL Engine to produce accurate results and maximize query performance.
- Diagnose and resolve MicroStrategy report and dashboard data and performance issues.
- Provide reliable estimates of report and dashboard development effort and deliver on commitments.
- Committed to learning and applying new technologies quickly.
- Passion for innovation to provide new insights into available data to the business.
- Work with Business Analysts to interpret business reporting requirements and transform business requirements into technical design specifications.
- Collaborate with the Database Team to design and implement database schemas that efficiently and accurately render data through MicroStrategy.
- 2+ years of experience as a MicroStrategy 10.x, 11.x Developer in an Oracle environment with experience using MicroStrategy Web, Developer, and Intelligence Server.
- 1+ years of experience with creating and maintaining MicroStrategy schema and application objects including Facts, Attributes, Hierarchies, Tables, Metrics, Relationships, Reports, Documents, Dashboards, KPIs, and Scorecards.
- Familiarity with MicroStrategy management tools such as System Manager, Object Manager, Command Manager, Architect, Integrity Manager, and Workstation.
- Knowledge of MicroStrategy security features such as ACLs, Roles, and Filters.
- Familiarity with Star, Snowflake, and Relational schemas with the ability to choose the appropriate design and select the best solution for design problems such as many-to-many hierarchies. Ability to adjust the schema with the appropriate amount of denormalization and aggregation to obtain the best performance in MicroStrategy.
- Knowledge of Oracle 11gR2/12cR2 SQL and PL/SQL preferred.
- Basic knowledge of RHEL Linux OS preferred.
- Ideally, experience developing applications to visualize retail point of sale data.