Systems Engineer, Powertrain
Can you be comfortable being uncomfortable? Can you do 2 or 3 jobs instead of only one? Are you fine with always speaking your mind? Can you lead, execute, and stay focused despite many distractions, and do the work yourself if needed?
At Autocar, we fight for the customer’s needs. We are disrupting the industry by putting the customers’ needs first. Every truck we make is custom-engineered, and custom-made, specifically for that customer—no “one size fits all” here. Because we engineer tools differently, we deliver trucks faster than the competition, and they WORK. The truck has more uptime, is more comfortable for the driver, and is safer—40% fewer crashes with injury than the industry average.* For the life of the truck, we have around-the-clock support.
It takes a special kind of person to be a part of this business in transformation. We are privately owned and expect our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the customer. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm and arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently in this industry. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving the lives of the drivers that use our trucks.
What will you do? As a Systems Engineer, Powertrain, you will be responsible for the powertrain technology roadmap. This will include developing, researching, monitoring, and implementing the technological strategy for the powertrain. This person will be responsible for understanding supplier developments, industry needs, and opportunities to improve customer satisfaction. To facilitate expedient change, this person will also have to develop and maintain an understanding of the current powertrain and the processes used to engineer and assemble it. Candidate must be able to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities.
- Acts as responsible Engineer for the Powertrain System
- Reviews design direction
- Reviews and monitors industry developments and needs
- Develops relationships and works with customers to identify needs and develop solutions
- Works with suppliers to maintain long term road maps and implement new solutions
What does it take to be a part of our team?
- Minimum of Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, Masters in Engineering preferred.
- Minimum 5 10 years trucking or related industry experience.
- Minimum of 5 Years’ Engineering Experience with Powertrain System Design, as applied in the Class 8 truck or severe duty service vehicle applications. Experience in and exposure to tooling and fixtures design applicable to Powertrain assembly processes
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, geometric tolerances, perform tolerance stack-up and component clearance analysis
- Ability to understand customer needs and requirements and translate these to technical requirements
- Ability to develop and maintain technical roadmaps
- Ability to plan and execute project plans
- Ability to guide and mentor other engineers
- Innovative and self-driven
- Hands-on approach to problem solving
- Readily able to adjust to changing priorities
- Objective orientated, setting goals and meeting deadlines
- Team player
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong time management skills
- Quick learner who requires minimal supervision and possesses good problem solving skills
- Team player with excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- A thorough working knowledge of 3D-CAD systems preferably Unigraphics.
- PDM systems preferably Siemens Teamcenter preferred
- MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Project and MS Outlook
Where will you work?
The Systems Engineer, Powertrain role will be based out of Birmingham, AL, but work closely with the team in South Africa.
What do we offer in benefits?
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package to include salary and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, retirements/401K plans, etc.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume