Position: Chief Engineer
Job Type: Full-time
Company: Autocar LLC
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, or Hagerstown, Indiana USA
Reports to: Platform General Manager
The Chief Engineer will be responsible for Engineering of an Autocar platform, championing the product internally and externally, and guiding the team’s activities with intimate knowledge of the applications & vocations we choose to serve, as well as the competitive landscape. The position will develop product roadmaps for revenue growth, identifying portfolio expansion opportunities, new features, technologies and product improvements.
The Chief Engineer will engrain a culture of integrity and performance, advance common understanding, provide clarity of purpose, continuously improve quality of work, reduce cost, deliver products that meet regulatory requirements, exceeding expectations - all in a fast-track development environment.
The Chief Engineer will manage the direction and daily activities of the engineering team with the focus on people, organization, and process. The position will also oversee improvements to the product development and related processes, lead the professional development of reporting managers and oversee the development of others in the department.
In this role, it is critical to interact with all levels of management, including Leadership, Operations, Procurement, Quality, Sales, Marketing and Finance. The ability to work closely with key supplier and key customer is essential.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading and mentoring the engineering organization, including providing technical leadership and direction to engineers and program teams.
- Incorporating company strategy, industry developments, regulatory requirements, customer voice, and long-term supplier relationships to develop robust and cost-effective vehicle products.
- Supporting the development of product development requirements and scopes of work.
- Supporting the development of robust product concepts, design for manufacturability and optimal component cost.
- Supporting training to improve the fulfillment of team members’ current roles and preparing them for future roles in the company.
- Analyzing and resolving problems, providing technical assistance as necessary.
- Supporting co-workers producing results in a fast-paced and high-pressure atmosphere.
- Working with project teams to develop robust product concepts, design for manufacturability and optimal component cost, maintain or exceed quality expectations, deliver on project timelines, and provide superior customer communication and a high degree of sense of urgency in all aspects of the role.
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering from a four-year college or university is required.
- A master’s degree in engineering management will be beneficial in securing this role.
- 10+ Years of engineering experience in the commercial truck industry, heavy/severe duty preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years proven track record of leading and mentoring teams.
- Willing to reside in the U.S.
- Willing to travel from time to time.
- Strong analytical and technical skills.
- Understand business practices.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent in task management.
- Ability to work under pressure, wearing may hats.
- Good Written and Verbal Communication (English).
- Computer literacy with advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
With outstanding sustained performance, the successful candidate will have opportunities for promotion and broader responsibilities over time.
Autocar offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, retirement/401K plans, etc.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume