Are you an experienced productivity engineer?
At Autocar, we deliver tools that transform the work of the people that use them, by putting our customers first.
It takes a special kind of person to be a part of this business in transformation. We are privately owned and expect our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the customer. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm in arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving our business and the lives of the people who use our tools.
To facilitate the seamless transition of new products and options into the production environment. Perform all aspects of continuous improvement including but not limited to; implementing lean manufacturing practices, 5S and visual management, throughput improvements, quality improvements, safety and ergonomics, tooling and equipment development for the efficient assembly of severe duty class 8 trucks.
What Does it Take to Be Part of Our Team?
You’ll Achieve These Key Outcomes:
• Develop work instructions, tooling and process needed to implement new products and options efficiently into manufacturing environment
• Execute on Development plans to launch new options and products into manufacturing environment in addition to improving manufacturing efficiency to control cost
• Apply Six Sigma and Lean manufacturing principles with plant leadership to improve efficiency
• Set work instructions and tooling, develop time study data to implement new products and options
• Develop willingness to learn and influence people to achieve and execute on results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Productivity Engineer is responsible for manufacturing engineering, industrial and process engineering related functions within his/her scope of responsibility at Autocar. Key functions include
- Day-to-Day production and quality line support. Review with area supervisor’s resource needs and assembly processes. Action changes and update process instructions
- Train supervisors/operators on new process and production launches
- Conduct/Participate Kaizen events and implement actions from the events
- Representation on plant safety team
- Participate in design reviews and provide direction/guidance for design for manufacturing
- Review new orders and estimate time and resource needs to meet customer build requirements
- Coordinate with offsite contract engineers to release process models and assembly instructions.
- Facilities and tooling development and inspections.
- Work with in-house and contracted manufacturers to develop tooling to support new product launches.
- Work with sub-contractors to ensure current tooling is certified for intended use
- Project management and introducing new products/options into production.
- Other duties assigned as needed to support production
The ideal candidate possesses the ability to readily adjust to changing priorities, is innovative, self-driven and has a hands-on approach to problem solving while working well within a team.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
You’ll Demonstrate These Competencies for Success:
• To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in-group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
• Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (ME), Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET), Industrial Engineering Technology (IET) or equivalent
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in manufacturing environment, preferably assembly in the automotive or heavy truck industry
- Experience in Six Sigma, lean manufacturing, 5S and visual management preferred
- Thorough understanding of time study/line balancing
- Process driven; detail oriented
- Strong work ethic, great attitude and willingness to learn
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Effective communicator across all levels of the organization
- MS Office proficiency
- Autodesk Inventor, SolidWorks Composer, and NX Unigraphics a plus
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
A thorough working knowledge of:
- CAD based engineering design system
- MS Office
- Mentor Graphics, VESYS, Pro/ diagram, or similar harness creation software
- Team Center PDM system
Where will you work?
This role is in our Autocar®, LLC, headquarters office in Hagerstown, Indiana.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
What do we offer in benefits?
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, to include base salary, incentive bonus opportunities, and benefits such as medical/dental/vision options, 401K plan, etc.
At Autocar, we are transforming the vocational truck industry, providing the highest quality, safest, and most advanced technology in the severe-duty class 8 vocational truck segment. Every truck we make is custom-engineered, and custom built to the customer’s specifications.
We are a privately US owned and operated company that expects our team members to act with an owner mindset: Relentless about creating value for the end user. Dogged about finding efficiencies and eliminating waste. Standing arm and arm with the rest of the team until the job is done—and ready to do it again the next day, with a smile.
It is not easy do things differently in this industry. But we do it—because we are passionate about improving the lives of the drivers that use our trucks.
Don't see your dream job?Submit Your Resume