Greenberg Traurig, a premier global law firm, currently has an excellent opportunity in its Northern Virginia office for a Temporary Litigation Assistant.
Performs various administrative and clerical tasks within the litigation department, including but not limited to responsibilities outlined below.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Types and composes general correspondence, memos, legal documents, faxes, reports, etc. from various sources (e.g., handwritten notes, tape dictation). Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy. Correlates and edits materials submitted by others. Organizes material that may be presented to lawyers in draft format. Ensures that all correspondence or other documentation is dispatched in a timely manner (via mail, messenger, express delivery services, etc.)
- Assists in all stages of litigation cases from onset through post trial.
- Formats and proofreads draft documents such as briefs, complaints, motions, subpoenas, summonses and pleadings using firm templates and information from attorneys.
- Prepares deposition reference materials, deposition exhibits, exhibit lists, witness lists and hearing binders.
- Accesses and reviews state and federal court dockets and obtains court case materials.
- Assists with the discovery process, including preparing for deposition, propounding and responding to written discovery and preparing for expert discovery.
- Performs and oversees both simple and complex cite checking and proof reading of briefs and other legal documents.
- Establishes and maintains filing and records, in both hard copy and electronic formats. Files information in a timely manner. Retrieves information from files as requested. Sends files to storage on a periodic basis.
Skills & Competencies
- Established understanding of litigation laws as they relate to individuals, partnerships and corporations.
- Comprehension of a variety of legal court documents, including complaints, answers, rulings, judgments, affidavits, motions, appeals, table of contents/authorities, subpoenas, court dockets, reports, memos and correspondence.
- Strong ability to maintain high standards, use good judgment and seek out ways to contribute and anticipate needs.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills and the ability to collaborate well in a team.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk from work station to desk or to go to various offices to retrieve assignments. This position may also be sedentary and require the employee to sit for extended periods of time.
- Requires manual dexterity to dial a telephone, enter data into a computer, handle objects and operate tools.
- Some filing is required and this would entail the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Position also requires the ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work overtime on an as-needed basis.
Qualifications & Prior Experience
- Requires 5 or more years of litigation secretary experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Experience with court filings in federal and state courts, discovery and trial preparation.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, as well as document management and other office technologies. Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
Greenberg Traurig is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.