Legal Support Specialist
Greenberg Traurig, a global law firm, currently has an excellent full-time employment opportunity in the Litigation Department of our Tampa office. We offer competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package.
The Tampa office has a current opening for a competitively compensated high-level legal support specialist to support a team of attorneys. This is a rare opportunity to join an excellent litigation practice at a major international law firm while enjoying the quality of life that working in a smaller office (≈ 25 lawyers) and living in the Tampa Bay Area provides. Tampa Bay, home of both the Stanley Cup Champion Lightning (2004, 2020 and 2021) and the Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers (2002 and 2021) has been named the No. 1 city in Florida and No. 22 nationally in a recent annual ranking of best cities. The Legal 500 2021 U.S. Guide lists 15 GT Tampa practice areas and recognizes seven attorneys, including a “Leading Lawyer,” one of only four nationally in his practice area.
The Legal Support Specialist supports a broad range of practice-specific activities including business development, managing day-to-day administrative and strategic initiatives, managing workflow, and preparation of client reports and documents. The role also requires the effective management of the professional responsibilities of the assigned attorneys, including coordination with clients, proactive management of attorney calendars, and responsibility for monthly billing. Candidates must demonstrate professionalism, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, technical savvy, the ability to handle multiple priorities, and work in an organized and efficient manner. The candidate should be flexible to work overtime as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in the creation, editing, proofreading, and processing of legal documents such as correspondence, memoranda, closing documents, pleadings, papers and other practice specific documents.
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of client relationships and businesses to provide the team information necessary to support client needs.
- Ability to understand and navigate firm resources to make recommendations to attorneys related to client support.
- Provide case management for client matters and coordinate workflow within the team.
- Ensure attorneys are complying with client requests and requirements, including client specific billing requirements.
- Manage practice calendars to ensure team operates efficiently.
- Maintain legal files (both paper & electronic), organize and file documents in designated order.
- Update case information, scan and organize legal files.
- Manage document deliveries and track final executed documentation.
- Assist with overflow work and other projects as needed.
- Attend team strategy meetings.
- Collaborate and work with paralegals and other legal support team members where applicable.
- Receive and evaluate telephone calls for supported attorneys, fielding calls and conveying messages as necessary. Communicate with clients, opposing counsel, courts, and liaisons as needed.
- Process time entry, open new matters, draft engagement letters and audit responses, make travel arrangements, process reimbursement expenses, maintain attorney calendars, collate information, prepare agendas, review and prepare billing invoices, and other administrative duties.
- Other special projects as needed.
Skills & Competencies:
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures or agency rules of assigned practice group (e.g., State and Federal court filing, including e-filings).
- Must be skilled in handling administrative tasks such as attorney time entry, travel arrangements, and processing of invoices and expenses.
- Problem-solving ingenuity and ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities.
- Must be a self-starter, organized, able to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Computer proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to manage time effectively.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills, both written and oral, including solid composition, research, and editing skills.
- Position also requires the ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
Qualifications & Prior Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Requires 3 years of experience within a law firm or other professional organization.
- Project management experience is a plus.
Greenberg Traurig is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Greenberg Traurig are considered without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or genetic information, among other protected bases.
In support of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace, GT participates in the Mansfield Rule Certification Program. The program, which is administered by The Diversity Lab, seeks to increase diversity representation in the legal profession and within law firm leadership roles. In 2019, GT achieved Mansfield 3.0 Certification, and in 2020, we achieved an even higher standard: Mansfield 4.0 Certification Plus. GT is currently participating in the Mansfield Rule 5.0 Certification Program. Providing your data during the application process helps us with achieving that goal and with meeting reporting/record-keeping obligations under federal and state law and other legal requirements.