gTANGIBLE is in the process of identifying candidates for the following position.
Requisition Type: Active
Position Status: Opened Job Requisition on 12 July 19
Position Title: Construction Manager
This Construction Manager will provide independent construction manager services to the Public Works Department (PWD) Key West, Florida. The construction manager will assist NAVFAC Southeast (NAVFAC SE) enforce its construction contract provisions including project budgets, project schedules, project quality, and project scope. The construction manager will assist NAVFAC SE in managing projects in the areas of planning, design (design/build projects), construction phase, and post-construction phase. The construction manager will represent NAVFAC SE and its projects. The construction manager has the authority to stop any portion of a construction contractor’s project work that poses imminent danger to personnel, equipment, or property.
Locations: Key West, Florida
Security Clearance Level: Current Secret Clearance Preferred
Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedule and conduct post-award kickoff meetings and pre-construction conferences (PreCon)
- Maintain proper construction contract document files according to NAVFAC standards.
- Schedule, conduct, and document regular progress meetings and other construction related project meetings with all interested parties to review project status, discuss problems, and resolve issues
- Coordinate construction operations between contractors, station personnel, and other government agencies
- Participate in all Partnering activities during construction (workshops, meetings, etc.)
- Prepare bi-weekly project status reports using NAVFAC enterprise contract management systems
- Use and prepare standard template documents for correspondence to construction contractors for deviations from contract schedule or quality
- Review project plans and specifications for technical soundness and provide constructability review comments
- Make visits to project sites to obtain information on facility/site conditions and develop recommendations during project development
- Monitor the design and construction clarification process and, when appropriate, remind the designer and other parties involved of the need for timely actions
- Provide technical assistance in answering requests for information (RFI) from construction contractors
- Analyze construction schedule submittals by construction contractors for appropriate logic and compliance with contract terms
- Review and monitor project schedules for construction progress with emphasis on milestone completion dates, phasing requirements, work flow, material deliveries, test dates, etc.
- Perform cost and price review on change order proposals that are within the scope of work to highlight hidden and unnecessary costs. Provide input to the contract specialist or contracting officer for preparation of the pre-and post-negotiation documentation
- Administer technical aspects of construction contract modifications (prepare cost estimates, review cost proposals, assist contract specialist or contracting officer in negotiations, prepare modification packages for processing by contracting officer)
- Assist in problem resolution and handling of disputed issues including development of Government negotiating position for changes to the contract
- Resolve problems not involving changes to contract value or duration and recommend solutions to the Government Contract Specialist for problems that may result in a change of contract value or duration
- Review construction contractor invoices for accurate reporting on percentage of work complete
- Review and recommend approval of the construction contractor’s Quality Control Plan
- Monitor ongoing construction to check contractor progress and verify compliance with plans and specifications
- Regularly review project reports from contractor and ensure reports are filed in the contract file.
- Review and recommend approval of the construction contractor’s safety/accident prevention plans
- Ensure contractor compliance with safety requirements
- Ensure construction contractor maintains and regularly updates as-built drawings and that a complete set of as-built drawings is turned over at the close of the contract
- Manage the NAVFAC Red Zone process for completing jobs, beginning at 75% construction complete or 90 days before the construction contract completion date, whichever is earlier.
- Participate in final acceptance and testing of major building systems including but not limited to fire protection certification, elevator certifications, ensuring contractor compliance in the areas of Testing and Balancing (TABs), Duct Air Leakage Testing (DALTS), Digital Control Systems (DDC) for HVAC systems
- Ensure the contractor provides a complete set of Operation and Maintenance Support Information (OMSI) Manuals and conducts any user training for equipment installed on the project as required by the construction contract
- Coordinate the closeout process including punch list preparation and completion, testing and startup of major systems, training, final acceptance, contractor evaluation and final payment
- Utilize NAVFAC’s Electronic Construction and Facility Support Contract Management System (eCMS) to manage electronic submittals and documents. Refer to Uniform Facilities Guide Specification (UFGS) Section 01 31 23.13 20.
- Submit a weekly project status report for any assigned project to the resource manager (Project Management and Engineering Branch Head/Supervisory General Engineer) and attend any project meetings as required.
- Submit a monthly report to the Contracting Officer summarizing service provider actions for each month.
Knowledge and Qualifications
Contractor employees performing services must meet the following requirements and have the following licenses and/or certifications, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Construction Managers shall possess a Bachelor Degree in engineering from an ABET accredited university or in architecture from a NAAB accredited university.
- 5+ years technical and practical knowledge and experience as a Construction Manager, Project Manager, or Project Controls Manager.
- Current certification of successful completion of the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)/Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Construction Quality Management for Contractors (CQM-C) course.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the NAVFAC & USACE Three-Phases of Control and Construction Quality Management process.
- Sound understanding of construction concepts, principles and practices applicable to multi-disciplined engineering projects and the design, layout, and supervision of construction operations.
- Ability to review technical engineering specifications and statements of work covering complex and diverse engineering designs or changes to the contract documents.
- Thorough knowledge of construction practices and methods and construction management skills.
- Ability to write and speak English fluently in order to report on progress and outcome of technical assignments and to present recommendations to government personnel.
- Ability to monitor construction projects to a successful and timely completion with respect to schedule and budget.
- Expert in the knowledge and usage of Primavera scheduling software and/or other construction scheduling software packages including logic networking, critical path scheduling, and cost loaded schedules.
- Ability to perform strenuous activity while working outdoors in extreme heat or cold, working in confined spaces, climbing and using fall protection equipment.
- Knowledge of safety and occupational health principles, practices, procedures, laws and regulations as they relate to engineering performance requirements and as outlined in the EM-385-1-1 Safety and Health Requirements Manual and 29 CFR.
- At a minimum, a record of completion for the OSHA 30-hour Construction Training Course is required. A record of completion for the EM 385-1-1 Construction Safety Course (NAVFAC or USACE) is required within 45 days of performance start.
- Possession of a valid US Passport
- Completion of a physical medical examination
gTANGIBLE Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, physical or mental disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or political affiliation.