GroupM recently merged two of its leading global networks, MEC and Maxus, to form a brand new media, content and technology agency – one of the largest in the world. WAVEMAKER exists to be Future Makers: to build brands that pioneer the future, inspire society and move customers to action. What started with a blank page and a fresh perspective has resulted in building an agency of the future.
Bound together by our Purchase Journey approach, we help clients translate audience behaviours and insights into smart decisions today, for a prosperous tomorrow. Our organizational capabilities and specialisms, along with the talents of our 8,500 people are united through our focus on understanding, accelerating and optimizing purchase journeys. Our obsession with purchase journeys is apparent in the solutions we create for clients, in how we structure ourselves and in the job roles our people perform. So a job a WAVEMAKER may not sound like a job at any other agency, and that’s because it isn’t.
Our people are encouraged to become the best versions of themselves and share the values and behaviours of what we refer to as PACED - passionate, agile, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and diverse. With our combined global heritage coming together to create something new; our people are the brains, the data experts and the thinkers of the GroupM family.
WAVEMAKER is a leader in its field. We’re in front of transformation, making waves by making bold choices. It means the impact of our choices today creates momentum into the future.
Our vision is simple: To become the most distinctive and admired media, content and technology agency in the world.The future is not only coming, it’s now.
At Wavemaker we’ve made changes to our communication planning team to make it fit for the future. We’ve re-homed our planners in a new team called Journey Design - to reflect our focus on how communication planning relates to the purchase journey. We’ve also created a specialist Delivery team to work alongside Design, responsible for account management and project management as our plans progress to activation stage.
The Journey Design department at Wavemaker is tasked with leading the strategy and planning for our clients to build best in class media, content and tech solutions.
The Journey Design Manager will sit within an integrated client team, and is responsible for supporting the Design team, by sourcing and analyzing data and helping to build journey recommendations.
Journey Designers will be passionate about creating a deeper understanding of the consumer through data and research. You will be an expert user of relevant planning tools and systems and use these to provide stimulus for channel and content activations. This role is a fantastic opportunity for a comms planner who is passionate about insights and planning to focus entirely on this element of the role.
The Journey Designer’s role can broadly be split into three key areas of responsibility:
Firstly, you will be responsible for sourcing and analysing data to get a deeper understanding of the purchase journey using Wavemaker tools and systems (including Momentum, Crossmedia, Touchpoints, Benchmark) and industry sources (including YouGov Profiles, TGI and IPA Touchpoints). Supporting the Journey Design Lead and the Senior Journey Designer you will dig deep into the data to find actionable insights which may fundamentally change the direction of the purchase journey design. You will use tools to best determine the shape and detail behind the plan, highlighting and sharing changes which may significantly improve effectiveness.
Secondly, you will produce and manage regular insight reports. These may include competitor analysis, brand tracking and media reports. For each regular report, you will go beyond simply reporting the numbers by drawing specific conclusions and actions required to improve the current Journey Design based on your analysis which you will present and share with the Journey Design team.
Thirdly, you will co-ordinate, sense check and track journey design across the integrated agency team, keeping the Journey Design team and the client up to date on the latest status of different parts of the Design and liaising across Wavemaker to manage the design. This will be an essential role in ensuring that the details on all implementational plans are accurate and presented by communications task and purchase journey stage. Where required this will be reformatting and finessing data from other parts of the integrated client team to clearly fit with the Journey Design proposed.
Public Health England
At Wavemaker we are very proud of our Government planning credentials and we currently work with over 50% of all Government campaigns. Our role on Government is to develop channel strategies and plans; all implementational planning and buying is undertaken by the Government’s buying agency, MGOMD.
This puts us in a strong position with our clients, as we are seen as impartial strategic partners, with no vested interest in where they deploy their comms budgets. For many years, we have worked with Public Health England, TfL, the RAF and the Royal Navy, and we have added to this client base over more recent years, now also working with DWP, DIT and the Home Office.
Our work with Public Health England is one of our most prized Government clients. The client sees us as a true partner, and is open to new and fresh thinking to efficiently communicate with their diverse target audiences. Because they truly value innovation, the work we produce regularly wins awards and has visibility across the agency – this is a great opportunity for a comms planner who really wants to make their mark within a large agency, as well as working for a client where we are genuinely delivering important messaging which save lives!
As the communications planning agency, we work very closely with other agencies to ensure the communications delivered all ladder up to our overarching strategy. Therefore, working alongside other agencies is a key part of this role, particularly with MGOMD buying all media for government clients.
Wavemaker holds both the planning and the buying for the Asahi Group, which covers the brands Asahi and Peroni. The Design team within this account are responsible for delivering innovative strategy with cut through in a cluttered beer market. Both brands hold super premium lagers and push to deliver creative solutions.
Peroni align themselves with fashion and style, with campaigns linking them to events such as London Fashion Week, and young and emerging talent in art and design. This account is all about discovering the trends our audiences love and aligning the products to them.
Across both of these accounts we are looking for a journey designer with a strong planning background and an enthusiasm to do great work. You will work closely with the Journey Design Director to produce detailed media strategies and provide the client with a clear point of view on media recommendations.
Sourcing and analyzing data to get a deeper understanding of the purchase journey:
- Take key responsibility of market insights (i.e. competitor reviews, tool analysis and consumer understanding)
- Support wider research for journey design through use of tools, budget setting and competitor reviews
- Support setting up new measurement and insight approaches with our Technology and analytics teams
- Be proficient in the Rapid Growth Planning framework and usage
- Challenge, provoke and push the rest of the team (Journey Leads and Senior Journey Designers), bringing in new thinking, approaches and creativity into the journey
- Regularly share findings with Journey design group to ensure best in class examples of research insight
- Stay abreast of Wavemaker’s capabilities and the wider industry
- Have a high level of awareness of measurement options available from multiple research companies and Wavemaker products
- Consistently update tools and systems skillset by training on new products as soon as they are launched
Produce and manage regular insight reports:
- Work with the Journey Activation and Wavemaker Content teams to keep abreast of how the journey is evolving, including competitor actions
- Build clear and simple regular insight reports for clients in a timely manner
- Distribute and summarise reports around integrated client teams to ensure best in class knowledge sharing
- Dig into report data to find insights and identify action points for clients, each report must include a ‘so what’ section
- Pro-actively suggest new reports which could help Journey Design to get a more recent view of the purchase journey
Co-ordinate, sense check and track journey design across the integrated agency team:
- Work with the Journey Delivery and Journey Activation teams to create an accurate, detailed and useful status reports
- Be responsible for rigorous attention to detail across all layers of the implementational plans
- Where required you will support Journey Activation to reformat and finesse plans to reflect the structure of the Journey Design
- Co-ordinate with Journey Activation and Wavemaker Content to ensure solutions are delivered in a timely manner and answer the brief set
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.